BISG’s Operations Manager holds primary responsibility for the association’s day-to-day activities. This includes: oversight of BISG’s five standing committees; planning and execution of webinars, programs, and events; management of the membership database; and certain financial functions.
Reporting to BISG’s Executive Director, the Operations Manager role at BISG is a great opportunity for those who aspire to leadership positions in publishing, media, nonprofit, or the trade association space. It’s an opportunity to gain insights and experience working with business leaders and subject-matter experts throughout the book publishing industry, including trade, education, professional, and scholarly publishers, as well as manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, libraries, and industry partners.
If you are looking to work on the front lines of the future of book publishing, this position may be right for you.
- Manage BISG’s five standing committees and a limited number of related working groups. This work includes: scheduling meetings, arranging access, preparing agendas and minutes, and coordinating or following up on committee-specific projects.
- Oversee the development, review, and production of any committee or working group publications or products, working to ensure the projects are handled in an efficient and timely manner.
- Assist in the development, planning, marketing, and execution of BISG’s annual content plan, which includes webinars, two-hour programs, and full-day events, including the Annual Meeting of Members.
- Manage the BISG membership database and related website. Update membership profiles, provide member support, and evaluate technology options to improve related operations.
- Oversee marketing efforts that include: email marketing for events; producing engaging content for BISG’s official social media platforms, with a focus on LinkedIn and Twitter; and being responsible for the BISG website and a weekly newsletter.
- Represent BISG at certain industry events and trade shows. Some travel may be required to events outside of the greater NYC region.
- Manage certain financial functions, notably booking expenditures and generating invoices for membership, products, and services, including event registration.
- Support quarterly meetings of the BISG Board, arranging access and preparing minutes. Assist in preparing for and presenting at Board meetings, as needed.
BISG is a nonprofit trade association that works to create a more informed, effective, and transparent supply chain for books and book-like products.
Candidates should be self-motivated and able to work autonomously. Past experience managing projects that take place over several months is particularly helpful. The successful candidate must possess the ability to juggle a variety of tasks simultaneously. Subject-matter knowledge of metadata, rights, subject codes, supply chain, or workflow issues is a benefit, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Prior experience in publishing, digital media, nonprofit organizations, or trade association work
- Outstanding writing and oral communication skills
- Proficiency working with online communications platforms, such as Zoom, Google Suite, or others
Preferred Qualifications (helpful, not required)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word; Photoshop, Canva or other design software a plus
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Online
- Familiarity with membership databases, website CMS or CRM systems
- Familiarity with marketing software/marketing automation
- Knowledge of current issues in book publishing