As a part-time Copy Editor for our marketing company, you will play a vital role in ensuring the accuracy, clarity, and quality of the written content produced for our nonprofit clients. We specialize in working with ministries to develop Bible studies, marketing content, and newsletter content. In this role, your primary responsibility will be to edit and proofread the content to align it with the clients’ needs and ensure it meets high editorial standards. This position does not involve generating content but focuses on refining and enhancing existing content.
This is a part-time hourly position requiring 6-10 hours per week.
- Editing and Proofreading: Carefully review and edit content to correct errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax. Ensure consistency in style, tone, and formatting. Identify and rectify any inaccuracies or inconsistencies in the content. Conduct additional research and provide sources to ensure accuracy and occasionally update content to improve relevance. Must be able to organize Bible teaching content in a way the reader can understand and follow.
- Content Optimization: Analyze the content to ensure it is engaging, persuasive, and tailored to the target audience. Optimize the content to improve its overall effectiveness, readability, and impact. Offer suggestions for enhancing clarity, flow, and organization. Review content for potential legal and ethical issues, such as plagiarism or copyright infringement. Adjust content to fit the client’s needs for word count and audience.
- Style and Brand Compliance: Ensure that all content adheres to the client’s established style guidelines and branding standards. Maintain consistency in terminology, voice, and messaging across various materials. Submit a final product that meets the formatting requirements of each client.
- Deadlines and Prioritization: Manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines. Prioritize tasks effectively and communicate any potential delays or challenges promptly.
- Collaborative Workflow: Work closely with the editorial team, including writers, editors and clients, to ensure smooth and efficient content production. Provide constructive feedback and suggestions to improve the overall quality of deliverables. Maintain open lines of communication to clarify any questions or concerns regarding content revisions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Experience as a copy editor, preferably in marketing or publishing.
- Exceptional command of the English language, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Knowledge or interest in biblical studies, Christian ministry, and religious content.
- Ability to work remotely and collaborate effectively in a virtual team environment.
- Proficiency in using Google Docs, Microsoft Word and project management platforms like Basecamp.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field is preferred.
What We Didn’t Say
- We want someone who owns their stuff—every team member owns their mistakes and does not pass the buck.
- We want someone who’s not afraid to give an opinion; be polite yet aggressive in accomplishing deadlines.
- We want someone who is comfortable when we pray in meetings and enjoys building friendships at work.
- We want someone who sees this role as a place to grow and not a stepping stone to another career.
- We want someone who loves hard work and has the heart to help others.
Join our team as a Copy Editor and contribute to our mission of delivering high-quality content to our clients in the ministry sector. Your editing expertise will play a crucial role in ensuring that our materials effectively engage and inspire people to grow in their faith.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and up to three writing samples via the instructions on our website.