About The Sato Project
The Sato Project (TSP) is a New York-based non-profit organization dedicated to saving abused and abandoned dogs in Puerto Rico, and working for long-term change on the island through our Spay/Neuter/Vaccine and Microchip Program. We rescue and rehabilitate the dogs before flying them to NYC, where we find them forever homes. We have rescued over 7,500 dogs since our inception in 2011, and our work has been covered by national and international media outlets including the New York Times, NPR, and CNN. Learn more about our work by visiting www.thesatoproject.org.
Are you a skilled communicator who is passionate about helping animals? The Sato Project is currently seeking a full time Communications Manager to join our small but mighty, dynamic, and passionate team. This position oversees the communication, marketing and public relations efforts of the organization to promote overall brand awareness.
This position is based in Brooklyn, NY and is a hybrid of remote and in-person work. In-person presence will be required at meetings at our office in Dumbo, Brooklyn on a weekly basis and at special events and initiatives (which approximately take place on a quarterly basis). Occasional travel to Puerto Rico may also be requested. Other day-to-day work can be performed remotely.
Prior experience in animal welfare is a plus; a passion for TSP’s mission to rescue, rehabilitate and create real change for the people and animals of Puerto Rico is a MUST.
Responsibilities would include:
- Working closely with the President & Founder, Director of Operations, and Development Manager to oversee the ongoing development, refinement and scaling of The Sato Project’s communication plan and guide the strategy for all communications, website, PR messages and collateral to consistently and effectively represent the organization’s brand and articulate its mission
- Oversee growth and strategy for social media channels and converting followers to subscribers and donors; leverage volunteer and/or consultant resources to support these goals as appropriate.
- Lead the development and execution of fundraising and communications materials including annual reports, newsletters, pamphlets, and press packets, so as to effectively convey The Sato Project’s mission and goals.
- Supervise the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral
- Supervise one part-time Communications Associate and coordinate with several very helpful communications volunteers
- Manage day-to-day execution of social media posting for the organization by developing content, planning, organizing and scheduling posts across social media channels
- Create and share a weekly social media calendar
- Generate and execute ideas for improving engagement, increasing followers, converting followers to email list and donors, etc, and consult on using paid advertising and other tools, and potentially other channels
- Provide insight and expertise on social media trends
- Track social media metrics
- Edit photos and videos to ensure high quality posts as needed
- Create infographics and other creative content
- Maintain daily presence by interacting with key organizations, reporters, and influencers
- Oversee volunteers and one Communications Associate as needed to assist in executing social media goals
- Take the lead on generating content and final drafts of monthly email newsletter in Constant Contact
- Write email appeal campaigns throughout the year
General Marketing and Donor Communications
- Write other content as needed, including annual report and other marketing and donor communications
- Proofread content generated by other staff as needed
- Execute a variety of graphic design needs throughout the year, including: the annual report, website updates and other event and promotional materials
- Organize and maintain image library
- Oversee Squarespace website as needed
- Provide suggestions and help implement changes to improve website and make it more dynamic and up-to-date
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of The Sato Project’s initiatives.
- Draft press releases with input from President and other team members
- Help field incoming requests from reporters, journalists, and other organizations.
- Maintain a list of media contacts
- Track coverage of The Sato Project and maintain clips on an ongoing basis.
- Monitor press coverage on topics related to The Sato Project’s work.
You are passionate about helping animals, and you are extremely organized and self-motivated. You are inquisitive, analytical, creative, and proactive. You are a great communicator and have a very keen eye for detail. You are also a team player.
- 3-5 years experience in a professional communications or marketing field
- Professional experience managing social media accounts for an organization, company, or brand
- Exceptional skills in copy-writing and editing
- Familiarity with fundraising communications
- Knowledge of email marketing platforms and best practices
- Ability to commute to our Brooklyn office four times a month and other occasional events in the New York/New Jersey area
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage multiple projects, timelines, and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
OTHER IDEAL EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with website management
- Graphic design experience using Adobe Suite, Canva, or other design software
- Basic video editing skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Experience working with press and coordinating with organizational partners
SALARY: $58,000 to $60,000 + fully paid health insurance, paid holidays, sick, and vacation time
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, cover letter, and at least one professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications Manager Applicant” in the subject line.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter or writing sample will not be considered.