The Daily Dot, a part of the Fragment Media Group (FMG), seeks an assistant editor to help craft, analyze, and write for its web_crawlr newsletter.
The Assistant Editor (Newsletter) would work with the Daily Dot’s newsletter editor to format, schedule, and edit various content related to the web_crawlr newsletter. The Assistant Editor would also have the opportunity to write a semi-regular column for the newsletter.
The ideal candidate has experience writing and scheduling a newsletter, is familiar with audience metrics like open rates, click-thru-rates, and NPS scores, and ideally would have 1-3 years of writing experience at an online media outlet.
This is a weekend position, with shifts on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. This is a remote role.
- A love for all things internet culture
- 1-3 years of newsletter experience
- 1-3 years of writing experience at an online media outlet
- Knowledge of newsletter best practices, trends, and algorithms
- Experience writing and editing + strong understanding of grammar/punctuation
- Familiarity with editorial calendars and planning content around tentpoles
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Familiarity with email clients like Sailthru and SendGrind is a plus
The Assistant Editor would be responsible for
- Scheduling on-site posts of the newsletter and web_crawlr columns on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Occasionally assembling, editing, and scheduling a Saturday newsletter.
- Writing a column based on a topic of internet culture that is approved by the newsletter editor (if desired).
- Research and data analysis.
This is an hourly position. The position would be 15-24 hours per week (depending on tasks), with a rate of $40 per hour. There is an opportunity to add more hours when the Newsletter Editor is out.
FMG recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with FMG’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when FMG supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.