Political Special Assistant
Type: Hourly Employee
Rate: $35.00 - $45.00/hr and 40hr/week; Not to exceed $72,000 annually
*OT permitted for work over 40 hours weekly/ 8 hrs daily
Location: Washington, D.C. Preferred | Outside DC - Travel would be required.
Office Type: Hybrid (Flexible)
Hiring Organization: Rooted & Reimagined Strategies
T. Booker Strategies and Rooted & Regimagined Strategies seek to hire a
Political Special Assistant to assist with planning and coordinating the day-to-day administrative and
operational activities associated with each consulting firm. Duties typically include assisting with
program planning and administration, internal and external operational/administrative
coordination, program management, and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Perform clerical duties for principals and staff.
○ Receive and refer telephone calls and/or emails.
○ Screen inquiries, answer questions, and provide information, as appropriate.
○ Schedule personal and business appointments, including but not limited to calls,
virtual & in-person meetings, speaking engagements, press interviews,
conferences, seminars, etc.
○ Assist with setting up and preparing for meetings, interviews, special projects,
speaking engagements and/or general problem resolution. This includes
note-taking, follow up tracking, and preparing any necessary meeting materials.
○ Coordinate arrangements and accommodations for appointments, including but
not limited to travel, meals, location, hotel, etc.
● Liaise with internal and external stakeholders on behalf of principals and staff.
○ Act as liaison between principal and staff, as well as principal and external
constituencies to share information, field requests, etc
○ Maintain contact with interested parties on day-to-day programmatic, operational,
and administrative matters to ensure follow-up on assignments and projects to
meet required deadlines and goals.
○ Communicate with applicable individuals and constituencies to gather and/or
disseminate information. This may require research (desktop/direct calls) to
identify appropriate points of contact if information is not readily available.
● Maintain correspondence, files, social media, and website(s).
○ Create, type, and/or edit internal and external correspondence, reports,
presentations, educational materials, media, newsletters and other
○ Draft responses on behalf of principals and staff.
○ Follow-up on pending communications with direction.
○ Route routine correspondence received to correct individuals, as needed.
○ Coordinate with various individuals to distribute communications.
○ Due periodic refresh and postings to social media platforms and website(s).
○ Manage assigned email inboxes.
○ Organize and maintain files and correspondence.
● Provide specialized administrative support, project management, and coordination on
special projects as assigned by principals and staff.
○ Assist in the development, implementation, and management of activities related
to client projects. This may include conducting some research information,
gathering and computing various data.
○ Maintain program/project records and research information in an organized and
properly filed order within each firm’s operating system.
○ Prepare, edit, and coordinate development of project documents, such as
promotional or educational materials, correspondence, newsletters, reports,
summaries, replies, and/or presentations. Select relevant data from a variety of
sources and use software for work processing, spreadsheets, and graphics for
○ Coordinate activities of support staff, organizational representatives, consultants,
clients and/or volunteers engaged in implementation and administration of
○ Communicate with all interested parties regarding project(s) and initiative(s)
progress, expectations, and deadlines and follow-up with direction.
○ May assist with grant and/or client proposal writing as appropriate to the
objectives and funding nature of the program; may participate in other fundraising
○ May perform specialized activities of a programmatic nature in direct support of
the accomplishment of program objectives and protocol.
● Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
● Travel (overnight) would be required for this position. Minimum once per month for 2-3
Qualifications/Skills For Success In Position:
● Works with a high level of confidentiality, integrity, discretion and respect.
● Highly motivated and ability to work independently for extended periods of time.
● Highly organized and attentive to detail across projects (administrative/ programmatic).
● Ability to clearly communicate with Managers about needs related to projects and tasks
with ample time ahead of deadlines.
● Must have a valid driver's license etc. and ability to carry up to 25lbs.
● Competency of understanding intersectionality and systems of oppression. Willingness
to learn how to see it/understand it in work.
● Confidence and high competency working with individuals from diverse and historically
underserved communities including race, sex, gender, socio-economic, age, status, etc.
● Basic understanding of branches of government (legislature vs. administration) at state
and federal levels.
● Experience with planning and managing high quality events such as retreats, luncheons,
and panel discussions.
● Experience with drafting executive-level materials ie. memos, briefing books, multi-day
● Experience with campaign related scheduling and advance operations and/or principal
engagement. (Highly Desirable)
This position will report to the following managers: Tamia Booker, T. Booker Strategies &
Amanda Aguirre, Rooted & Reimagined Strategies
How to apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter/or other brief writing sample ie.
newsletter, memo, press release to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be
reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
T. Booker Strategies
T. Booker Strategies is led by principal Tamia Booker, a veteran political strategist with nearly
two decades of experience building dynamic coalitions and working with national leaders to
drive meaningful change.
Across her various roles and work on the local, state, and national level, and now as a
consultant to leaders and causes she believes in, Tamia has built a national reputation for
organizing people and advancing tangible solutions in the world of politics, policy, government
Rooted & Reimagined Strategies
Rooted & Reimagined Strategies is a boutique not for profit consulting firm here to serve people,
not our bottom line. We believe in collaborative, value-based, and innovative work that is rooted
in the movements for justice and in our shared histories. We provide hands-on and advisory
services to mission-aligned organizations, individuals and philanthropy working toward the
shared goal of equity and liberation.
Rooted & Reimagined Strategies is queer, latinx and WOC firm founded by Amanda Aguirre and
Jessica Loya. Together they have over two decades of experience building dynamic coalitions,
organizing diverse/intersectional campaigns, and working with national and grassroots leaders
to advance community-centered solutions.