Central Plumbing, Heating, Excavation (Central) is a well-established and respected commercial construction company. For 76 years, we have built a reputation of delivering excellence on time. Established in 1946 Central began as a family-owned plumbing and heating company in Great Falls, MT. Four generations later Central added civil construction and a second location in Belgrade (Bozeman), MT. As of January 2023, Central has become 100% employee owned!
At Central, we know that our most valuable asset is our people. As we continue to grow and evolve, we understand the importance of establishing a dedicated Human Resources Manager role to support our expanding workforce and help to maintain our culture of excellence and mentorship. We are excited to announce the opening for a Human Resources Manager who will play a pivotal role in shaping our HR strategies, policies, and practices. The ideal candidate has a genuine passion for people, a high level of self-awareness and empathy, and can successfully navigate interpersonal relationships and conflicts. If you thrive in a collaborative decision-making environment and would like the opportunity to be part of "The Best People, The Best Results!" team apply now!
HR Manager is responsible for managing all stages of the employee life cycle to promote our company culture and overall business plan. These include but are not limited to recruitment, onboarding, career development, and retention. In addition, working together with company leadership to create, monitor, and administer company policies and practices, employee benefits, compensation, and performance evaluations ensuring we are legally compliant with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Collaborates with leadership to understand the organization’s goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, and retention.
- Manages onboarding process of all new employees by communicating benefit plan options, coordinating efforts with safety, payroll, and operations ensuring new employees have the necessary resources and information to successfully integrate into our organization.
- Monitors and processes paperwork for, and ensures the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, such as EEOC, non-discrimination, record-keeping, Workers’ Compensation, ADA, FMLA, etc. and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive employee return to work program.
- Build upon and manage current employee performance review process and related compensation adjustments focusing on goal setting and identifying areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with leadership to develop elective and required training at all levels of the organization encouraging career development, employee retention, and succession planning.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to leadership.
- Develop comprehensive HR policies: Create clear and well-defined policies that cover various aspects such as onboarding, performance management, compensation, benefits, leave, and disciplinary procedures. These policies should align with legal requirements and Central’s culture and values.
- Document policies and procedures: Document all HR policies and procedures in a comprehensive and easily accessible format ensuring employees have access to updated information and guidelines.
- Communicate and work collaboratively with senior leadership to provide training sessions to managers and employees to educate them about HR policies and procedures. These training sessions should cover policy details, their rationale, and guidelines for implementation.
- Communicate policy updates: Keep employees informed about any changes or updates to HR policies and practices. Utilize multiple communication channels such as email, newsletter, intranet announcements, or meetings to ensure everyone is aware of the modifications. Use various formats to cater to different learning styles.
- Provide ongoing support: Offer ongoing support and clarification to employees and managers regarding HR policies.
- Foster a culture of transparency: Encourage open and transparent communication within the organization. Ensure that employees feel comfortable discussing policy-related concerns or seeking clarification without fear of retribution. This helps to address any misunderstandings and maintain consistent practices.
- Regular policy review: Conduct periodic reviews of HR policies and practices to ensure they remain up to date with legal requirements and organizational needs.
- Collaborates in creating cost-effective and competitive company benefit and compensation plans that attract, motivate, and retain a high-performing workforce.
- Promote employee retention through active management of voluntary terminations - tracking turnover and exit interviews.
- Build upon and manage employee performance review process and related compensation adjustments focusing on goal setting and identifying areas for improvement.
- Assist managers and employees with any employment matters including performance and disciplinary action, policy and procedure compliance, discrimination, benefits, and leave, disciplinary matters, disputes and investigation, performance and talent management, productivity, recognition, and morale.
- Maintain company organization chart, job descriptions, and template job offer letter.
- Partner with Safety Director to promote health and safety initiatives.
- Promote company culture and employee acknowledgment through years of service awards and other recognition.
- Administrator of Central’s Drug and Alcohol Compliance Program.
- Future tasks and assignments as determined.
Education & Experience
- BA/BS degree from an accredited college/university
- 5+ years of work experience in the human resources field
- While past leadership experience prefferred, we are open to considering individuals who may not have had formal leadership roles but possess the potential and desire to grow
- SHRM certification preferred
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience with complex, sensitive employee issues, and maintaining confidentiality
- Experience with professionally addressing confrontational employee situations
- Very knowledgeable on employment law and regulations
Skills & Abilities
- A genuine passion for helping people reach their potential
- Proven and effective ability to connect with employees as a role model promoting culture, communication, continuous learning, and safety
- A high level of self-awareness and empathy
- The ability to successfully navigate interpersonal relationships and conflicts
- The ability to successfully navigate a collaborative decision-making environment
- Ethical and professional interaction with all employees regardless of position
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in building relationships and negotiating
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize, delegate and meet deadlines while working independently
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills
- Competitive pay
- Company sponsored events
- Company cell phone plan reimbursement
- Paid training and effective employee development resources
- Profit sharing
- Health Insurance tailorable to your needs
- Dental / Vision / Accidental / Critical Illness Insurance
- Pet insurance
- Health Savings Account with company contribution
- Paid time off
- Company paid short term disability
- Company paid life insurance policy
- 401K retirement plan
- Employee Assistance Programs
- This positions reports to the CEO
- This position requires travel to and from our locations (Great Falls, MT and Bozeman, MT)
- Position location is available in Great Falls, MT or Bozeman, MT.
- Work environment: Office
As part of our application process for this position, we kindly request that you address the following within your cover letter:
- Please describe a time when you proactively identified an opportunity to enhance employee engagement or job satisfaction, including how you addressed the opportunity and measured the impact.
- Please outline the strageties and approaches you utilize to cultivate strong relationships with employees at all levels of an organization.
Central Plumbing, Heating, Excavation is an Equal Opportunity Employer