Nava is a consultancy and public benefit corporation working to make government services simple, effective, and accessible to all. Since 2013, federal, state, and local government agencies have trusted Nava to build transformative digital services to help people access public benefits. Meeting our mission is an opportunity to restore trust between people and public institutions. We focus on populations that are the least protected because the stakes are higher.
As a client services company, we work with government agencies to improve how people apply for benefits, navigate their health care, and more. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients. Our clients hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better customer experience.
These end-users—the humans who benefit from our work—are at the core of everything we do. We research beneficiaries’ needs to help our government clients better deliver on their missions, providing everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we are looking for a Data Engineer who will help us to drive our vision forward. Working in a highly-collaborative environment, you’ll create experiences that improve the lives of millions of Americans. We're looking for a Data Engineer who cares deeply about end users and is passionate about crafting simple and usable solutions.
In this role, you'll work with government stakeholders, alongside Nava's engineering, design and product teams, to modernize data architectures and data pipelines in critical government programs. You'll design and implement data models and databases, improve data pipelines, enhance data security, and write code to process data more efficiently and support storage, processing, and analysis of terabytes of critical data. You will provide subject matter expertise and actively contribute in data and architecture review meetings, while supporting the implementation of data integration requirements and developing the pipeline from raw data through curation layers (including data acquisition, cleaning, transformation, derivation, and aggregation) to consumable data for Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
You will deploy and operate mission-critical, highly-available, and scalable systems by adopting and defining standards and best practices in data engineering. You will support our software developers and Infrastructure Engineers on data initiatives and will help ensure data delivery is optimal and consistent throughout ongoing projects. You will support the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products in addition to creating and optimizing our government partners' data architecture to support their data initiatives and programs.
You will have a significant strategic impact and will be uniquely positioned and empowered to make a huge impact on Nava's mission to reimagine how our government serves its people. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working directly with clients in both a consulting and delivery capacity to tackle complex, enterprise cloud, or on-premises software and technology projects. You'll have an innate desire to learn new technologies and languages as well as be a problem solver who likes and creative thinker. You're also highly organized and works well independently, as part of a team, and with stakeholders. Our ideal candidate will also be an effective oral and written communicator with a strong ability to relay technical concepts clearly and concisely to a wide audience with various levels of technical knowledge and awareness.
What You’ll Do
- Document, improve, and maintain data strategies and artifacts, including logical and physical data models, data dictionary, data architecture roadmap, and data security policies, using industry best practices and adhering to federal standards, along with operational runbook procedures
- Collect data access patterns and review current data models to optimize designs for customer use cases
- Standardize data ingestion and processing pipelines to scale with increasing utilization
- Audit and reverse-engineer business rules in legacy systems, and build data connectors for integrating them into a data and analytics platform
- Implement large-scale data ecosystems within cloud-based platforms that include data management and data governance of structured and unstructured data
- Leverage and enhance automation to speed development and improve reliability and performance
- Work with cross-functional project teams to gather business requirements and translate to detailed technical specifications
- Work with Government partners to assist and develop data engineering applications and pipelines that will enable data services and processing capabilities
- Design, develop, test, automate, and deploy data engineering solutions in a cloud platforms, such as Azure
- Participate in software design and code reviews.
- Develop automated testing, monitoring and alerting, and CI/CD for production systems
- Maintain security and privacy standards in all aspects of the data pipeline
- 7+ years data engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience in cloud data architecture (AWS preferred) and big data technologies
- Experience with professional software engineering practices using such tools and methodologies as Agile Software Development, Test Driven Development, CI/CD, and Source Code Management
- Experience with building ETL pipelines in Python
- Proficient with relational databases and advanced SQL queries
- Prior experience with Java, Python, Scala
- Experience with data cleaning and data modeling while protecting sensitive data
- Proficient with building data integrations using both API and file-based protocols
- Proficient in refining high-level goals into high-impact, low-effort tasks and milestones based on human-centered design practices to prioritize options for stakeholders
$120,000 - $153,000 a year
The individual working in this position:
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and meet any other requirements for government contracts for which they are hired.
- Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship by their employer for a visa now or in the future.
- May be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
- Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
- 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
- Sabbatical Leave
- 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
- Flexible work arrangements
- $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
- Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
- $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget, on top of a LinkedIn Learning license
- Equity stock options
- Employee referral program
- Commuter Benefits
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death Insurance
- Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture, fostering remote work!
We Also Have Fully Remote Options If You Reside In One Of The Following States
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco.
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
- If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about career opportunities, new partnerships, and news from the broader civic tech community.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.