FPWA is an anti-poverty policy and advocacy organization committed to advancing economic opportunity, justice, and upward mobility for New Yorkers with low incomes. Since 1922, FPWA has driven groundbreaking policy reforms to better serve those in need. We work to dismantle the systemic barriers that impede economic security and well-being, and strengthen the capacity of human services agencies and faith organizations so New Yorkers with lower incomes can thrive and live with dignity.
Our Communications team is currently seeking an intern to support external communications efforts. You will support the Marketing and Communications team in driving our communication efforts across various digital platforms to engage our target audiences and achieve our organizational goals. This involves providing support in crafting compelling content, executing marketing strategies, and enhancing brand visibility. This internship is well suited for an undergraduate/graduate student and provides an opportunity to gain substantive experience in communications, public relations, marketing, social media, video, design, website analytics and project coordination in a nonprofit setting.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drafting communications and developing visual content for FPWA’s website, blog, social media pages and collateral materials such as invites, newsletters and one-pagers
- Assisting with the development and design of print and digital collateral
- Supporting FPWA event preparation and planning
- Performing research as needed
- Supporting the department with general office tasks and special projects as needed
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to prioritize, and handle multiple tasks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite Knowledge of design software like Adobe Photoshop or Canva and the ability to create captivating social media graphics, flyers, and other digital and print collateral
- Knowledge or a willingness to learn email marketing using Mailchimp. This entails writing, designing and scheduling newsletter emails to our growing subscriber base
- Familiarity with social media, focusing on crafting compelling social media content, designing visuals, arranging schedules, and generating metric reports using Meta Business Suite. The ideal candidate possesses a deep understanding of social media trends, hashtags, discussions, platforms, and influential figures relevant to FPWA, either through existing knowledge or dedicated research efforts
- Knowledge or willingness to learn Wordpress to publish or edit content on the website
- Excellent oral and written communications and copy/editing skills
- Passion for and coursework in media, communications, marketing, or related fields
- A positive attitude, strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to creatively find solutions to challenges and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Photography and video editing skills are a plus
- Bonus: PR experiences and knowledge of NYC government, current events, media landscape, and influencers
- Availability to work at least 15-20 hours per week.
COMPENSATION: Starting at $18-25 per hour
As part of building a culture where employs can do their best work, FPWA currently employs a hybrid model. Employees are in-office twice per week and senior leadership is in-office three times per week. We observe a company-wide remote day on Fridays.
Work performed by this role is expected to happen in or near New York, NY given FPWA's work policies and practices.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
FPWA requires proof of initial course of COVID-19 vaccination.
TO APPLY: PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER, TWO WRITING SAMPLES and RESUME via Workable.
No phone calls or other inquiries please.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. We will be interviewing applicants on a rolling basis and will fill the position quickly. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
FPWA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FPWA is committed to employing people who reflect the diversity of our member agencies and the communities and people they serve. Those with lived experience of justice involvement are strongly encouraged to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged.