Quick Take: Axios is a thriving, fast-growing media organization dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news in an audience-first format. With newsletter teams in 30 cities across the U.S., Axios is adding a highly entrepreneurial team to grow the organic social media presence for Axios Local. We are looking for a self-driven personality to be the voice of Axios San Francisco on our Instagram handle.
Why it Matters: The social host will create Instagram posts, stories, reels and IG lives for Axios San Francisco, which serves as an entry point for new Axios fans, newsletter readers and event attendees.
- This person will be the on-camera personality for the Instagram account combining original visual reporting, stories from Axios San Francisco writers, and occasionally national stories relevant for a local audience.
- This is a cross-functional role. This person will be embedded and collaborate with the Axios San Francisco newsletter reporters but report to the Director of Local Social. This person will live in or be able to move to SF Bay Area.
- Content for the Axios local social channel(s) should ideally also work as content for the newsletters and vice versa but social content should be programmed for the social audience.
Go Deeper: We are looking for a skilled social/video creator to specialize in San Francisco, specifically SF lifestyle content on Instagram. You must be excited to take on the following responsibilities:
- Create a drumbeat of daily or near-daily video, photo and text content for the Instagram account in collaboration with the Axios San Francisco team.
- Incorporate edits and feedback from editors both in real-time and in portfolio reviews.
- Research, test, and incorporate growth tactics in the account to grow audience and engagement with the audience.
- Set the strategy and goals for the account with the Director of Local Social.
- Participate in advance planning for major coverage to capture on-site visual assets.
- Measure, monitor and report out KPIs specific to Instagram.
- Shape how Axios Local evolves across social, web and newsletters in partnership with Local editors/reporters, product managers, and leadership.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have most of the following skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated, measurable success in creating and growing video-driven social posts for platforms like Instagram, TikTok, YouTube or equivalent.
- Include links to the relevant SF or Bay Area-based social handles you operate or have operated in a brief cover letter. Specify if you own the accounts or if you are operating the accounts
- Include at least 2-3 links (live or in a google drive) of example work you are most proud of. At least one of those links should include yourself on camera.
- Video editing experience
- Deep knowledge of San Francisco and the surrounding areas, particularly local lifestyle, arts, dining, bars, sports, other events, etc.
- Experience working on a cross-functional team, collaborating with other creators or local reporters in the lifestyle or news spaces.
- Experience receiving feedback from a manager or editor as well as peers.
- Demonstrated wide knowledge of Bay Area news and how national storylines intersect with local storytelling.
- Comfort on camera both in pre-written scripts and off-the-cuff reactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund,” which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Starting salary for this role is in the range of $85,000 - $100,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.