I. Job Overview
Job Description Summary:
The Corcoran School of the Arts and Design bridges the George Washington University’s (GW) academically robust programs in the arts with Corcoran’s creative and inspired scholarship. Part of GW’s Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the school functions as an incubator for artists and practitioners in arts-related fields and serves to enrich students who are taking classes in other areas of the university. As such, it provides a platform for engagement that bridges creative expression and practical application with the breadth and depth of the larger liberal arts education.
The Corcoran School of the Arts and Design is seeking an Academic Department Administrator for the Music Program. This position reports to the Program Head in Music and the Administrative Supervisor in the Corcoran.
- Act as first point of contact for the program and the facility, greeting guests, answering phone calls, checking program email or other digital message accounts, and answering routine requests for information from current students, prospective students, and the public.
- Provide timely, complete information in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Support program head and other music faculty with key administrative and clerical tasks, such as hiring paperwork, travel arrangements, honoraria requests, office supply ordering, mailing, photocopies, data compilation, and other basic troubleshooting.
- Support program head and other music faculty with key academic tasks, such as preparing and editing the academic schedule, managing enrollment in and scheduling of private lessons, collecting and storing syllabi, and overseeing the deployment, collection, and tabulation of student course evaluations.
- Oversee facility use, schedule shared program spaces (conference rooms, classrooms, and rehearsal spaces), and identify, document, and report on all facility issues with appropriate maintenance or school staff.
- Regularly update departmental web platform and draft a weekly newsletter.
- Monitor music program budgets and prepare and process all financial-related matters, including purchase orders, supplemental compensation, invoices, honoraria, stipends, volunteer appreciation recognition, and expense reimbursements. Maintain department p-card and ensures budget compliance with institutional policies and procedures.
- Manage front office space, including hiring and overseeing any student workers, engaging in basic housekeeping to keep the front office tidy, professional, and functional.
- Attend Corcoran staff meetings, integrate and coordinate with other Corcoran administrative staff on key special projects as directed by the administrative supervisor.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/ GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Knowledge of music or performing arts disciplines
- Superior organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Understanding of and experience with scheduling
Typical Hiring Range
Commensurate with Experience. How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. JOB DETAILS
Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS)
Academic Department Administration
Service and Support
Full time -> FTE 1.00
Hours Per Week:
Will this job require the employee to work on site?
Employee Onsite Status
On-campus (in person)
Required Background Check:
Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search
Special Instructions To Applicants
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status
Internal Applicants Only?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date:
If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until:
Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.