The Pacific Northwest Waterways Association (PNWA) is seeking to fill a Communications Manager role at its headquarters in Portland, Oregon.
PNWA has over 150 members, including ports, barge companies, steamship operators, grain elevator operators, agricultural producers, electric utilities, irrigation districts, and union labor throughout Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. Our association supports projects to advance and protect the region’s navigation infrastructure, freight mobility, economic health, and the environment. We support the region’s multi-modal transportation system, which provides safe, efficient, and reliable links to competitive domestic and world markets.
Duties and responsibilities
● Writing, editing, design, production, and distribution of PNWA external and internal communications, including the Nor’wester newsletter, fact sheets, promotional materials, and other communications.
● Prepare materials for communication with members, member prospects, presentations by PNWA staff or PNWA members, the press, and PNWA meetings.
● Manage and update websites including developing content for the association websites, social media, etc.
● Develop a tracking system to ensure printed material and website are accurate and up to date.
● Maintain Constant Contact and other e-mail lists for the newsletter, press, Congressional delegation, designated representatives, committees, and other lists as assigned.
● Assist in the collection and management of information in support of PNWA policy goals.
● Assist PNWA members with communications efforts.
● Represent PNWA at selected meetings as assigned.
Meetings and membership services
● Assist the Office Manager and other staff with meeting and event planning as assigned.
● Design meeting materials, including meeting theme, brochure, signs, support materials, etc.
● Assist PNWA staff with membership services, including assisting current members, identifying prospects, etc.
Executive support and General Office Duties
● Assist the Executive Director and Government Relations staff in tasks as assigned.
● Serve as liaison for Executive Director and Government Relations Director with PNWA members and external contacts as assigned.
● Assist in PNWA office operations, including mail, filing, databases, PNWA’s permanent archive at Whitman College, media lists, routine maintenance of office supplies and equipment, and assist staff in meeting PNWA goals as assigned.
Minimum Required Education and/or Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
● Three to five years of related experience in the field of Communications and Public Relations.
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
● Knowledge of marketing and communications tactics.
● Proficient with graphic design software (PowerPoint, Canva, InDesign); able to create and modify graphics.
● Knowledge of the development of media tools such as news releases, key messages, Q&A documents, fact sheets, etc.
● Excellent interpersonal skills required to successfully work with a diverse group of stakeholders.
● Polished presentation and interpersonal skills.
● Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to self-direct and prioritize initiatives.
● Demonstrated attention to detail.
● Demonstrated business maturity and professionalism.
● Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability.
Physical and Visual Activities and Demands:
● Sitting, lifting, climbing stairs, carrying, reaching, handling, typing, feeling, grasping, talking, hearing, acuity-near, depth perceptions, and field of vision.
● Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, occasionally.
● This position is currently performed in a hybrid work environment (in-office and remote).
● May occasionally work in outdoor temperatures above 100 degrees and below 32 degrees.
● May occasionally walk on slippery or uneven surfaces.
● Occasional work outside of normal business hours and occasional travel required.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range is $70,000 - $80,000, paid monthly. This position includes a competitive benefits package with medical, dental, retirement, paid vacation, and medical leave.
The characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be required for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this or similar positions and additional duties may be assigned.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.