How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The vision of the Adolescent Health Initiative (AHI), a program of Community Health Services (CHS) at University of Michigan Health, is to transform the healthcare landscape to optimize adolescent and young adult health and well-being. The Marketing and Communications Specialist works to achieve this vision strategic marketing practices. A primary goal of AHI?s marketing work is preparing health professionals to better support adolescents across and within their identities. The AHI team works to ensure that their marketing promotes evidence-based practice and prioritize care for youth across a wide spectrum of identities. This includes, but is not limited to, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender and non-binary youth, youth across intersecting racial identities and experiences, migrant youth, young people across socioeconomic statuses, system-involved youth, young people from all religious backgrounds, expectant or parenting teens, adolescents that have disabilities or identify as disabled, and any identity marker that impacts a young person?s experience as it relates to health. Qualified candidates for this position should be committed to supporting this type of work.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist works to create a more adolescent-centered health care landscape through coordination of AHI?s website, social media channels, biweekly newsletter, event promotion, and relationship building. This position also serves as AHI?s internal graphic designer for social media content and event promotion, and they work to update and disseminate AHI?s branding policies within the program and with partners.
Qualified candidates should possess strong creative and communication skills. Applicants should enjoy working as part of a dynamic, interdisciplinary team, and share the AHI values of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion, Collaboration, Expertise, Innovation, Quality, and Responsiveness. For this role, it is important that a candidate is committed to working intentionally to equitably represent and center diverse communities in their marketing work.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist serves as an important member of AHI?s Marketing Team that works closely to advance the vision of AHI and CHS through strategic marketing practices. This group values active collaboration, feedback, and support.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Create content, coordinate, and disseminate AHI?s newsletter to promote AHI?s resources, services, and events using MyEmma (newsletter)
- Generate, edit, publish, and share engaging content daily on social media
- Manage AHI?s social media channels and campaigns using Hootsuite and Microsoft Excel
- Stay up-to-date with current technologies and trends in social media, design tools, and applications
- Create, maintain, and conduct analytics reporting across multiple platforms and extract key insights for future campaign development and market strategies
- Facilitate live engagement and social media content at AHI events
- Develop and maintain AHI?s website leveraging Michigan Medicine?s internal website team for support, and Drupal
- Develop graphic design for online, social media, and print materials promoting AHI?s resources, services, and events using Adobe Creative Cloud and Canva
- Lead the development and tracking of AHI?s marketing goals
- Develop and disseminate AHI branding policies, guides, and trainings
- Build and maintain relationships with adolescent health marketers to support dissemination and community growth
- Contribute to CHS marketing including newsletter and social media copy
- Collaborate with AHI?s Teen Advisory Council to receive feedback on marketing practices
- Center Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) as a guiding principle to inform AHI?s marketing practices and outreach strategies
- Provide event support as part of the marketing and events team
- Other duties as assigned in support of AHI & CHS mission, vision, and goals
- Strong communication skills, including copywriting skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Experience in developing marketing plans, including social media management
- Experience with building web pages and making updates in Drupal or another CMS, which should include an understanding of page layout and design, how menus function, and best practices for web content, including SEO.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image, and video)
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva or other design applications
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment and adapt to changing priorities.
- Must be willing to work some evenings or weekends depending on event schedules
- Ability to include anti-racist principles and practices that support efforts for diversity, equity, justice and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in marketing, business, or related field
- Working technical knowledge of web analytics tools like Google Analytics
- Training or experience in adolescent primary care, sexual health, mental health, or positive youth development
This position will work a hybrid schedule.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.