Job Title: Client Support Specialist I
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Duration: 900 hours
Client: City of Sunnyvale
Pay Rate: $48,609.60/yr to $75,441.60/yr
- Installs, configures and sets up client devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, Smartphones, etc.), client device software/applications, monitors, printers or other peripherals.
- Performs equipment and system setup, including necessary interconnections and performance
- Responds to incoming incidents and requests in a timely manner, tracks 100% of all customer
- contacts, researches questions and issues and resolves each interaction with customer satisfaction.
- Provides technical support and customer service assistance either in person, online, or over the
- telephone; refers problems to appropriate staff as needed.
- Assists with the resolution of technology problems reported by City staff and system users with
- standard computer tools such as remote access applications, desktop management appliances, the City's business applications, and other office automation/desktop software products.
- Escalates incidents to higher level support personnel when appropriate in a timely manner.
- Provides solutions to frequently occurring problems and documents this in the ITSM
- knowledgebase, maintains and updates articles within the knowledgebase.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the City's IT asset management inventory.
- Performs routine and preventive maintenance of all client devices, including printers, file systems, telephones and related equipment to ensure uninterrupted and optimum system performance.
- Completes service requests in a timely manner and provides support to end-users.
- May provide information technology training including new employee orientations regarding the City's software applications and voice, radio and/or data communications equipment.
- Provides technical support, including testing and equipment maintenance for in-person and
virtual meetings in the City Council chambers.
- Provides technical direction, guidance, and customer service assistance to City staff and systems
- users in the operation and use of client devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, Smartphones, etc.) and City applications and information systems.
- Answers, evaluates and prioritizes incoming online, telephone, voice mail, e-mail and in-person
reported incidents related to hardware, software and other technologies; sets priorities and
- assignment of incidents to resolve problems in the most expedient manner.
- Assists users with making requests for identifying the right equipment or systems for purchase or upgrade.
- Provides Citywide system alerts, outages, or maintenance notices as needed.
- Routes and escalates service requests to the appropriate staff as needed.
- Performs as a member of a team, answering questions, sharing expertise, and contributes to team effectiveness.
- Performs responsibilities according to the IT Department's defined processes and procedures and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Provides City-wide information technology training standards; develops, coordinates and conducts new employee orientations regarding the City's software applications, use of client devices and data communications.
- Interacts with and assists Network Engineers / System Administrators in troubleshooting and
- diagnosing desktop computing and Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN)
- Interacts with and assists Programmer Analysts / Project Coordinators in troubleshooting and
diagnosing reporting, department-specific and enterprise-wide applications issues.
- Maintains physical inventory of all end-point equipment and software.
- Maintains a cooperative working relationship with the public, users, other technical staff, vendors, supervisors and management.
- Works with IT staff to research, develop, test, and implement new technologies and projects.
- Monitors/safeguards security of data accordance to agency and IT security compliance.
- Develops and maintains technical system FAQs and how-to documentation within the IT knowledge base, to include creating/publishing new articles.
- Assists with the development, coordination and scheduling of in-house technical training, device
and/or system user training, new user training, and assists with the preparation and conducting of demonstrations and training of new systems (applications or devices).
- Assists in the audits of IT services and equipment used by departments for reporting purposes.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Principles and practices of ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library).
- Familiarity of ITSM (IT Service Management) systems to include Incident/Problem Management,
- Request Fulfilment; Knowledgebase Management; Asset Management and IT Service Catalogs.
- Principles and practices of business systems applications, databases, office automation software
and operating systems commonly used on desktop computers and networked systems.
- Principles and practices of computer, business or telecommunications operations, including network operating systems and software products; principles and practices of local area networks (LAN) and wide area networks (WAN).
- Principles, practices, methods and techniques of providing customer service, training and
providing technical and functional support to end users.
Knowlege Skills & Abilities
- Methods and techniques of modern office business software programs, record keeping, report preparation, technical documentation and writing.
- Basic cybersecurity principles.
- Applicable security and data privacy practices and laws.
- Principles, practices, methods and techniques of providing customer service, IT training and providing technical and functional support to end users.
- Applicable industry and safety codes and standards.
- Office methods, procedures, software and equipment.
- Methods and techniques of troubleshooting hardware, software, voice and/or data communications equipment and inter-connectivity problems.
- Principles and practices of software and hardware installation and repair.
- Principles and practices of assuring data security.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; translate between technical and non-technical terms.
- Identify, analyze and define administrative and technical issues, collect information, establish
facts, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Effectively organize, prioritize and follow-up on work assignments in order to meet established
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Provide technical advice and consultation to City staff in person, online, over the telephone, or by email.
- Identify, analyze and resolve customer/user problems; take appropriate corrective action to problems; research technical materials to provide solutions to problems, or refer problems to
- Learn complex principles, practices, techniques and regulations pertaining to assigned duties.
- Analyze current and future training, data, voice, software/hardware requirements and needs;
make appropriate recommendations; develop, present and evaluate training programs and new
employee training sessions.
- Effectively interpret and explain applicable processes, regulations, information technology protocols and hardware/software application solutions to users; listen and communicate information to persons with a diverse background of knowledge and experience.
- Develop and implement revisions to standard operating procedures to improve effectiveness
and/or comply with technological changes as appropriate.
- Perform a variety of tasks in a consistent and accurate manner.
- Make sound decisions within established guidelines.
- Establish, maintain and promote positive and effective working relationships with employees,
other agencies, public officials and the public.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the performance of duties.
- Work independently and as a team member; recognize and set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Respond to cybersecurity issues and remediate in a timely manner as instructed.
- Recognize, set and follow priorities to meet deadlines.
- Intermediate knowledge of ITSM (IT Service Management) systems to include Incident/Problem
- Management; Request Fulfilment; Knowledgebase Management; Asset Management and IT
- Intermediate knowledge of business systems applications, databases, office automation software and operating systems commonly used on desktop computers and networked systems. Client device (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, SmartPhone) hardware, operating systems, common office automation applications and desktop applications.
- Computer peripherals such as printers, copiers, multi-function devices (MFDs), scanners, plotters, and external storage devices.
- Intermediate knowledge of computer, business or telecommunications operations, including operating systems and software products; principles and practices of local area networks (LAN)
and wide area networks (WAN).
- Intermediate knowledge of troubleshooting hardware, software, voice and/or data communications equipment and inter-connectivity problems.
- Principles and practices of mentorship and effective working team environments.
- Identify, analyze and define complex technical issues, collect information, establish facts, draw
valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Provide technical advice and consultation to City staff in person or remotely (online, phone,
- Maintain and troubleshoot client device installations (desktops, laptops, tablets, Smartphones)
and resolve hardware and software problems.
- Install or modify client device installations, including connecting hardware to the network, installing software, transferring data and testing.
- Perform routine upgrades on City client devices and workstations, software and associated
- Independently develop and coordinate effective administrative and business systems, programs
- Effectively organize, prioritize and complete complex work assignments in an expedient and
customer service orientation.
- Apply complex principles, practices, techniques and regulations pertaining to assigned duties.
- Analyze cybersecurity issues and remediate in a timely manner as instructed.
- Assist in evaluating new technologies that will lower cost or improve efficiencies; provide feedback to management on ways to improve efficiencies.
- Lead staff or user training on technology solutions.
- Act as a team leader when necessary.
- Assist is evaluating new technologies that will lower cost or improve efficiencies; provide feedback to management on ways to improve efficiencies.
- Lead staff or user training on new or existing technology solutions.
- Effectively interpret and explain applicable processes, regulations, IT protocols and hardware/software application solutions to users.
- Develop and implement revisions to standard operating procedures to improve effectiveness
and/or comply with technological or regulatory changes as appropriate.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative to identify problems, analyze situations accurately, and take effective action Prepare and maintain clear, concise and accurate written reports, instructions, memos, alerts, knowledgebase articles or other related documentation.
- Prepare and maintain clear, concise and accurate written reports, instructions, memos, alerts, knowledgebase articles, newsletter articles and other related documentation.
- Make public presentations, as necessary. Follow oral instructions, work with minimal supervision to accomplish goals and objectives and complete assigned project task on time.
- Plan effectively, prioritize requests and assignments and meet deadlines.
- Public sector employment or internship experience.
- Possession and maintenance of CompTIA A+ certification.
- Possession and maintenance of Information Technology Infrastructure Library ITIL certification.
- Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver's license and a safe
driving record, or the ability to provide alternate transportation which is approved by the appointing authority.Education/Experience
- Must have a related technical certification
- See full City description and possible combinations of education that meet the requirements here: Class Specifications | CLIENT SUPPORT SPECIALIST II | Class Spec Details (governmentjobs.com)
- Candidate must pass a background check.
- The City will conduct in-person interviews.
- The City will not pay any travel or per diem costs.
- These positions will work on-site in Sunnyvale 5 days a week, remote work is not an option.
- This position is expected to be on a contract term for up to 900 hours.