The Guardian is a global news organization that delivers fearless, independent journalism. From breaking news and award-winning investigations, to in-depth coverage of technology, sports, film, culture and lifestyle, the Guardian offers a global view that deepens our audiences' understanding of America and the world.
Headquartered in New York City, Guardian US is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian's international coverage with US voices and expertise. Core coverage areas include the climate emergency, economic and racial inequality, digital privacy and much more. Guardian US launched in 2011 and today has bureaus in New York, Washington DC, New Orleans and Los Angeles. The Guardian is an independently owned, mission-driven organization, funded by readers around the globe.
It’s the talent, energy and commitment our people bring to The Guardian that make us who we are. Across our business we have some of the most creative thinkers in media and beyond: award winning journalists, cutting edge commercial teams, digital talent and more.
Job Title: Newsletters Editor, US
Reports to: Deputy Editor through Head of Audience Development
Location: New York, NY
Terms and conditions: Full-time, permanent. News Media Guild position.
Salary range: $100,000 - $135,000
The Guardian US seeks a creative, collaborative editor to build our newsletter portfolio and deepen audience engagement in the US. This editor will shape the Guardian’s US newsletter strategy by improving our existing email offerings and launching new products.
We’re seeking a deeply curious editor with wide interests, prior experience commissioning and working closely with writers, a track record of creating compelling editorial packages, and an interest in innovative delivery formats and design. Potential newsletter topics could span the full range of the Guardian’s US coverage, from politics to food to global soccer to arts and culture.
This is a newly-created role in the Guardian’s US newsroom, requiring strong leadership skills and an experienced collaborator who can build relationships with editors and writers across departments, as well as with colleagues on the product, reader revenue, and commercial teams to cultivate new ideas, build new products and deliver results. We are hoping to develop existing voices in our newsroom, as well as recruit new talent.
The newsletter editor should have a solid understanding of journalism ethics, outstanding writing and editing skills, and exceptional communications skills. While prior experience working with email newsletters is a plus, it is not required for the role. The ideal candidate will have wide knowledge of the US newsletter landscape, and the ability to find opportunities to experiment and grow.
The newsletter editor will also support the Guardian’s wider audience goals, which include increasing engagement and loyalty of our US audience and diversifying our audiences culturally and geographically to build a readership that is representative of America. While the Guardian has dozens of newsletter offerings in the UK and around the world, this role is specifically focused on developing products for the US market. Roughly a third of the Guardian’s global audience – more than 50 million unique browsers a month – is based in the US.
- Oversee the day-to-day newsletter portfolio, including newsletter writers
- Work across the editorial, audience, reader revenue, commercial and product teams to launch new newsletter products and shape the Guardian’s newsletter strategy
- Work with the newsroom and marketing teams to find new ways to promote the products and grow audience, while increasing engagement and retention of subscribers
- Work with newsletter teams in the UK and Australia to constantly refine best practices and build the widest, most relevant global audience for all of the Guardian’s journalism
- Create clear pitching guidelines for new products
- Experiment with new formats, such as asynchronous and pop-up newsletters
- Participate in recruiting and hiring for new newsletter roles
- Work with the audience team on strategies to diversify our audience culturally and geographically and increase our reach among underserved communities in the US
- Share expertise and communicate newsletter analytics with editorial staff to improve our existing products
Key skills & experience
- At least five years’ experience editing with in a newsroom
- Up-to-date knowledge of the newsletter competitive landscape
- Strong writing skills and editorial judgement
- Organized and deadline oriented with the ability to meet launch deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative approach; the ability to build bridges across the newsroom, reader revenue, commercial, and product teams
- Experience making data-informed editorial decisions
How to Apply
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself.
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter as one document.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship.
We value and respect all differences (seen and unseen) in all people at the Guardian. We aspire to have inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.