MDC Position Announcement
Communications Associate (Fall Internship)
MDC, a nonprofit in Durham, N.C., focused on expanding opportunity, reducing poverty, and promoting equity, particularly in the South, seeks a Communications Associate to provide tactical support to the Director of Communications to implement MDC’s external communication strategy. The communications assistant is enrolled in a 2- or 4-year undergraduate program, and the internship can serve as course credit. The position is based in North Carolina but is primarily a remote position, with possible and occasional travel to MDC’s office in Durham, NC. This is a part-time (15-20 hours/week) role.
Primary Responsibilities And Expectations
- Distill content into engaging, concise messages for websites, e-newsletters, and social media platforms.
- Draft communications materials such as e-newsletters, social media images, and web content.
- Update social media channels, including but not limited to LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Create graphics for publications, social media, websites, and presentations (ex., infographics, graphs, and bar charts).
- Develop and maintain stakeholder outreach lists, e-newsletter subscriber lists, fundraising lists, CRM, and editorial calendars.
- Track and report website, e-newsletter, and social media metrics.
- Develop creative ideas for dissemination strategies and tactics.
- Cull and summarize media mentions.
- Conduct website maintenance, including posting approved content and editing web text and graphics.
- Support webinar and video production, editing and closed captioning.
- Work closely with program and communications staff to prepare PowerPoint and other presentations and supporting materials.
This position is based at MDC’s office in Durham, N.C. The right person for this position will have excellent organizational and time management skills and the interest in and ability to simultaneously track deliverables and milestones across several projects. They should also have an interest in equity and experience with social media, and website development/maintenance.
In addition, candidates must have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to represent the organization with external partners, clients, staff, and via MDC’s digital channels
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and competing priorities, and complete assignments on time
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Highly proficient in Adobe Acrobat (design software – InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop) and Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint; knowledge of tools for graphic representation/design and experience with CRM systems a plus
- Familiarity with the issues that MDC works on is also a plus, particularly racial and gender equity, the U.S. South, and economic mobility/security
This internship pays $17 per hour, or open to course credit. This is a part-time (15-20 hours per week), remote position.
Founded in 1967, MDC is a nonprofit organization that equips Southern leaders, institutions, and communities to improve economic mobility and advance equity, particularly racial and gender equity. Our vision is a South where all people thrive. MDC enjoys support from a broad mix of foundations and other funders, including public sector, corporate and individual funders. Our lead strategies are:
- Framing an equity agenda through our State of the South series
- Systems change through initiatives that center on early childhood education and development; talent development (including early childhood development, workforce development, post-secondary access); and family economic security (including access to supports and benefits for families; reducing the impact of student debt)
- Equity-centered leadership through initiatives to shape philanthropic practice in the South and efforts to equip Southern leaders to lead with equity-centered principles and strategies
MDC is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization committed to diversity and equity, it is our policy to provide an equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to age, color, race, religion, national origin, disability, military/veteran status, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation or status in any other group, protected by federal or local law or for any other reason. We encourage applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups. Reasonable accommodations are available on request.
For more information about MDC, visit . MDC staff are currently working remotely; please be sure to send the application package electronically through JazzHR rather than by regular mail.
- The deadline for applications is 5:00 PM Eastern Time, Thursday, September 14th. If you require assistance applying, please contact .
Powered by JazzHR