The Event Operations Support Interns Intern candidate is interested in pursuing a career in fields related to event and conference planning or volunteer management. This position will engage in projects providing practical experience supporting large-scale event operations, including volunteer recruitment and management, external and internal customer service, problem-solving, and decision-making.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain timelines and deliverables for projects relating to volunteer database administration.
- Utilize available resources to learn about the volunteer program and its operations.
- Attend meetings to understand overall event operations, taking notes as required.
- Correspond with 1500+ volunteers using different communication methods.
- Assist with the development of the volunteer newsletter and social media delivery schedule.
- Support the creation of enticing content for the volunteer newsletter and social media posts.
- Engage in projects supporting department goals and objectives.
- Participate in volunteer training to ensure a quality and meaningful training experience.
- Strive to uphold a culture of safety and ensure implementation of safety measures and provided resources.
- Learn and follow company processes.
- Reinforce company policies and procedures and act as a role model for others.
- Support a safety culture and ensure implementation of safety measures and provided resources.
- Participate in an intern program evaluation and project review.
Onsite Event Responsibilities
- Continue to maintain the volunteer database communication channels.
- Execute plans and document outcomes.
- Provide onsite support to event operations staff and volunteers.
- Work with volunteers to address concerns, answer questions, and problem-solve.
- Reinforce both internal and external customer service efforts.
- Maintain a dedication to continued productivity and role responsibilities.
- Identify areas of need and use proper reporting methods to document operational challenges or request assistance.
Qualifications & Skills
You must be enrolled in an accredited university or college and live in Texas to be eligible for a SXSW Internship.
- A desire to learn.
- Outstanding internal and external customer service skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to speak in front of large, diverse groups of people.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Confident in making decisions while working under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable working with a team and independently.
- Ability to prioritize and manage timelines.
- Knowledge of Google Workspace, MS Office, and a willingness to learn new software.
Sitting or standing for long periods is frequently required, walking multiple miles a day during the event. Schedules may vary during the on-site operational period. Manual dexterity is required for keyboard and computer useoccasional lifting of up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation.
Work Location & Schedule
The position is in Austin, Texas. The intern candidate must be available to work in the office up to 16 hours per week from November 2023 - March 8, 2024, full-time from March 9 - March 16, returning to 16 hours per week through the end of March. This is a paid internship at $12.00/hr.