Silicon Valley Business Journal is looking for a full-time Digital Editor to track local business news in the heart of one of the nation's top economic centers.
The Digital Editor for the SVBJ is the point person in our operation for breaking news, newsletters, multi-media, social media and user engagement.
The ideal candidate is someone who has to know what’s happening in Silicon Valley, has a deep-seated curiosity about what’s really behind that news and why it’s important, and can creatively present information to readers through words or multimedia.
The Digital Editor is our newsroom’s “Swiss Army Knife.” They write, edit and curate news posts – as well as produce interactive features, galleries and video – that are timely, compelling and drive audience engagement.
The job requires solid news judgment, strong editing and headline-writing skills, and familiarity with SEO and site analytics. The Digital Editor must balance the highest standards for content with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives.
- Tracks news from multiple sources to determine what’s “must have” content for the day.
- Plays the role of traffic cop in ensuring the newsroom publishes a steady diet of original content throughout the day and to ensure robust/fresh content leading newsletter emails.
- Sets/executes daily strategy to maximize reader engagement with morning/afternoon newsletters.
- Produces relevant, engaging online content with a specific focus on local business activity in Silicon Valley.
- Manages calendar of upcoming news events as well as key, newsworthy dates.
- Tracks metrics and measures engagement with an eye towards growth, quality control and pacing to monthly goals.
- Takes a creative approach to social media and manages all channels with goal of extending the Business Journal brand and building audience engagement.
- Is part of editorial leadership team, along with the Editor-In-Chief and Managing Editor, to help establish the editorial calendar.
- Regularly participates in and attends Business Journal-sponsored events.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years of experience in online news operation
- Genuine interest in local business news
- Strong headline writing and copy-editing skills
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Well-versed with social media engagement
- SEO experience
- Video and other multi-media production experience a plus
- Demonstrated use of databases to build interactive elements and features
- Use of content management systems
- Ability to work independently as first editor on duty for the day
The well-being of our employees is paramount. For that reason, ACBJ offers a variety of rich and competitive benefits including bundled health, dental and vision plans designed to meet our employees' needs. We also provide programs to support mental health and wellness and a generous time-off policy in support of taking the time needed to recharge. Here are just a few of our programs: * Paid Parental Leave * 401K Plan with Employer Match * Flexible Spending Accounts * Employee Assistance Program * Multiple Employee Dependent Scholarship Programs * Commuter Flexible Spending * Lifestyle Programs (Including incentives for healthy habits) * Medical Infertility Services * Corporate discount programs * Employee Recognition/Service Awards * And so much more! (Benefits coverage indicated above may be based on employee participation in benefit programs and eligibility)
This Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law. Appropriate CDC guidelines are being followed for the protection of our employees and customers.
COMPENSATION: $70,000 - $90,000