Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.Job Summary/Basic Function:
To research, write, and report stories for the specified department to enhance university engagement and build relationships with an internal and external audience. Generate positive media coverage to promote the university and advance its overall strategic plan using any and all media outlets available.Department Overview:
Work with a driven and relational team in New Student Programs! In this role, you will work directly with current student leaders, incoming students, and their families' guests to support a smooth transition to Boise State. Working with the New Student Programs (NSP) team means supporting the design and implementation of programs and services that connect new students to people and resources, setting them up for success and persistence to graduation. NSP also educates and builds community for the families of new students, understanding that family support is integral to student success. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to learn about many different functions of the university, within Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and beyond. You’ll acquire large-scale event planning skills, have opportunities to develop public speaking and facilitation skills, and support peer mentorship efforts. Due to the nature of the work, the successful finalist must reside in the Treasure Valley. Work location is based on business needs.Level Scope:
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self-development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training. Typically hold a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Marketing and Communications Coordinator must:
- Research, write, edit and proof stories for Boise State’s internal and external publications. Determine how to present the university’s narrative through all means and which stories to pursue for which media.
- Maintain an extensive network of information exchange with media representatives, community partners and agencies, and web-based information dissemination services. Develop and maintain relationships, exchange information and work on teams with all levels of academic and administrative units.
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership.
- Maintain a social media presence as needed.
35% of Time the Marketing and Communications Coordinator must:
- Help developing communication campaigns.
- Work with designers to produce impactful messaging pieces.
- Coordinate inclusive, consistent and effective messaging across web properties.
- Facilitate engaging digital marketing/comm efforts, including all digital assets for large-scale presentations (slide deck curation); function as point of contact for the audio-visual team and the presenters using these digital assets.
- Assist in gathering and proofreading articles for newsletter distribution.
- Assist in the administration of Constant Contact.
- Provide departmental and divisional support by participating in various hiring committees and
- Student Affairs events and initiatives. Attend professional conferences, workshops, and/or seminars to continue professional growth and development.
- Serve on cross-campus committees, workgroups, and initiatives as appropriate.
- Assist other staff members with special events and programs as requested by the supervisor.
5% of Time the Marketing and Communications Coordinator must perform:Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external, local, regional and national media and connect them to stories, ideas, etc.
- Knowledge and ability to use a variety of social medias to create, communicate and disseminate information
- Ability work collaboratively with others
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with CRMs and CMSs
- Ability to manage multiple complex timelines and overlapping collaborative projects
- Ability to adapt in relation to varied stakeholders; dynamic listening and communication abilities
- Interest in furthering equity, inclusion, and access in higher education
- Ability to write quickly, cleanly, format, edit and review stories and photos for the web and produce stories of different types.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
- Experience using word processing and basic web content management materials.
Salary and Benefits:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent- General Field required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluent Spanish
- Capacity to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Experience in higher education setting is desired
Starting at $47,195, depending upon experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/ .Required Application Materials:
Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications for this position, a resume detailing your employment history, and three (3) professional references, including at least one former or current direct supervisor.