an online daily from the Financial Times, is looking for a reporter to join its team covering the mutual fund and ETF industry. This reporter will cover what these companies are doing to comply with various rules and regulations, and the tools they are building to do so. The reporter will also spend time digging through regulatory filings, other long documents and, on occasion, large data sets.
We are the premier publication covering the mutual fund, ETF and 401(k) marketplaces, and a go-to source for industry decision-makers.
The position is based in Manhattan, however we operate a hybrid work arrangement which requires at least 2 days in the office each week.
What We Offer
The reporter will join a team of seasoned journalists in ferreting out scoops and creating must-have content for executives working in the ever-changing asset-management industry.
We break major industry stories and provide analysis that has been picked up by major national papers, including The New York Times and Wall Street Journal. We have also received several industry awards in areas including investigative reporting, analysis and news coverage.
The ideal candidate will relish working a beat, developing a network of sources, deriving narratives from legal and regulatory filings and breaking news. We welcome creative ideas for presenting information to our readers across print, graphic and video platforms. Applicants should be flexible and comfortable working as part of a team.
The successful candidates will join an established, successful and profitable Financial Times
publication with more than 125,000 paying readers.
What You’ll Be Responsible For
- Reporting and writing at least three stories per week for our daily newsletter
- Mining public documents and developing a network of sources to generate scoops and story ideas
- Contributing to all storytelling formats, including videos, features, webcasts and, when appropriate, graphics and other visualizations
- Attending industry events and meeting with sources to stay on top of the latest industry trends (including virtual events)
What You’ll Bring
- A desire to join a team focused on keeping our publication’s market-leading position by contributing fresh, original content relevant to our niche audience
- Proven ability to develop a network of sources
- Interest in working across media platforms, such as print, video, visuals
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Data analysis skills a plus.
- No prior financial journalism experience is required, but candidates who have a particular interest in the topics described are encouraged to identify that when applying.
People from traditionally underrepresented communities, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
What’s in it for you? Our benefits and culture
As An Employee, You Can Expect
- Generous paid time off including vacation, personal days, sick days
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life & disability insurance for employees and their families
- Competitive 401k and company match, profit sharing, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Flexible working
- Other great perks such as summer Fridays, volunteer days and in-office events
- Employee-led networks which promote and celebrate diversity and inclusion in the workplace by connecting, engaging and empowering individuals across the organization
The annual salary range is $71,000 to $75,000, depending on experience. This position is represented by the Writers Guild of America East.