Complex Assistant Director of Human ResourcesDEPARTMENT:
Human ResourcesREPORTS TO:
- Located two blocks from Bryant Park, Refinery Hotel is a luxury hotel in Midtown Manhattan's Garment District. While our home in the 1912 Colony Arcade building gives us a long history, our stylish loft rooms, acclaimed Parker & Quinn restaurant, and trendsetting Refinery Rooftop bar create a fashionable refuge for locals and cultured visitors in present-day New York.Hotel on Rivington
- Located in the center of the lively and historic Lower East Side , Hotel on Rivington is an urban oasis with a sleek modern design, stunning skyline views and spacious accommodations that exceed New York City hotel standards. Our modern rooms and suites feature unique amenities such as balconies, soaking tubs, steam showers and floor-to-ceiling glass walls designed by renowned NYC architects Grzywinski + Pons. This hotel will be going under renovation and rebranded in 2024.Job Description
The Complex Director of Human Resources will assist and provide advice and counsel on all laws affecting the operations regarding associates at Refinery Hotel and Hotel on Rivington. They will assist in administration of human resources policies, procedures, and practices at both properties driving employee engagement; ensuring employment statute compliance; overseeing all aspects of wage, benefit, worker's compensation unemployment; training program direction, implementation, administration; and employee relations coaching, counseling and discipline.Duties & Functions
- Administer insurance benefits, calculate billing totals, explain benefits, assist with completion of enrollment forms, and answer questions.
- Oversee recruitment, screening and reference checking.
- Compile review list and distribute to departments.
- Compile Turnover Report, copy and distribute.
- Maintain thorough and current knowledge of all Human Resources/employee regulations and laws, and ensure that the property is in compliance.
- Enter payroll information on computer (wage information, changes).
- Implement and communicate new policies, information, and directives to all employees.
- Respond to unemployment claims, maintain unemployment logbook.
- Maintain new hire, termination, transfer and promotion logbook.
- Audit hours worked in payroll reports for eligibility of benefits.
- Compile wage surveys.
- Monitor and maintain Leave of Absence log.
- Monitor Workman's Compensation claims, complete First Report of Injury and Employers Report of Industrial Injury.
- Answer questions regarding 401K Plan, vacation and benefits (insured and noninsured).
- Maintain complimentary room night log, process employee requests.
- Prepare and place recruitment advertising.
- Process paperwork for terminating employees.
- Maintain advertising logbook.
- Become certified trainer in all Human Resources training modules.
- Ensure compliance with all HR and related Loss Prevention SOP's.
- Conduct/Lead monthly Loss Prevention meeting.
- Schedule and conduct new hire orientations- explain benefits, conduct tour of property.
- Write articles and take pictures for property newsletter.
- Develop monthly newsletter and distribute.
- Assist with special projects; plan employee events (meetings, picnics, parties).
- Hotel photographer at internal events.
- Coordinate Team Member of the Month nominations, awards, and monthly parties.
- Maintain staff uniform inventory and place order as necessary.
- Assist General Manager in team building exercise planning.
- Monitor the Service Standards and ensure compliance for all new hires.
- Participate in conjunction with GM in annual review process to access for goals and training opportunities.
- Organize and facilitate AOS pulse and main survey.
- Facilitate AOS champion committee, communicate achievements resulting from AOS to the team.
- Be familiar with Guest Service reports, Associate Opinion Survey results and action plans, and mystery shopper or quality audit reports. Use these results to determine training needs.
- Work closely with DH's to establish action plans based on AOS.
- Birthday/Anniversary - issue a flyer each month, organize and facilitate celebrations.
- Ensure budget compliance.
- Ensure ordering of all supplies as related to HR.
- Organizational Chart, phone list updates.
- Maintain First Aid log.
Education & Experience
- At least 5 years of progressive Human Resources experience in a hotel or a related industry; or a 4-year college degree and at least 2 years of related experience; or a 2-year college degree and 3 or more years of related experience.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of employment laws required.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Participate in M.O.D. coverage as required.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Refinery Hotel/Hotel on Rivington Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of both properties.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
- Comply with company standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.