Salary: $60,000-$70,000 Annually Location : Thousand Oaks, California
Job Type: Full-Time Regular In Office, Remote option on Fridays
Mustang Marketing is a Ventura County-based marketing firm that specializes in strategic marketing plans, public and government relations, brand identities, collateral design and beyond. The Communications Specialist will play an integral role in the agency’s public relations strategy and content development. This role is a hybrid role comprised of both traditional PR needs and copywriting support. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for staying abreast of best practices and trends in the public relations and other areas of the communications field necessary to support the needs of Mustang’s diverse client base. The Communications Specialist will work with the Mustang team to brainstorm and pitch creative concepts and PR angles. Additionally, the Communications Specialist will also be responsible in supporting Mustang’s clients with copywriting support, ranging from press release development to corporate bios to newsletter content and beyond.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written, and will have proven experience in current marketing and public relations techniques, tools and platforms. The ideal candidate is also a self-starter, someone who takes initiative, and someone who can take ownership of processes and lead work in an environment with tight deadlines to meet. The ideal candidate is someone who can take a proactive approach to their work.
This position is considered part of the creative team and will report directly to the director of marketing. This position is an in-office position, with remote flexibility on Fridays.
TITLE: Communications Specialist
Examples of Duties
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
As it relates to public relations:
- Lead, develop and implement public relations efforts for Mustang Marketing and its clients
- Create relationships with relevant media outlets
- Pitch, monitor and provide timely coverage reports for clients
- Maintain and build local, regional and industry pitch lists for clients
- Monitor client mentions and media opportunities
- Work with the Mustang team to strategize on PR angles
- Awards and recognition opportunity research, monitoring and submissions
- Attend client meetings as necessary to gather information related to press efforts
- Provide on-site event or media support as requested from clients, and on behalf of Mustang
- Development of annual PR reports for PR clients
As it relates to copywriting:
- Develop written content for clients ranging from social media posts to press releases to brochure copy to corporate bio development and beyond
- Provide proofreading support for all content
- Support Mustang with internal copy support for proposals and RFPs
- Perform other related duties as required
· Possession of a bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications, or a related discipline
· 5 years' experience in related field
· Strong familiarity with AP style guidelines
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with fast client deadlines
· Knowledge and experience with PR software tools and best practices
· Ability to develop content for different mediums and clients, taking into account unique brand voice and tone
The typical Mustang Marketing workday happens between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. There may be times that work happens outside of these hours based on client need, such as in the time of a communications crisis or an event.
This position is based out of Mustang’s office in Thousand Oaks with the expectation of in-office hours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday-Thursday, with a remote option on Fridays.
Mustang provides a benefits package that includes insurance (medical, dental and life), a 401k and training opportunities.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Mustang Marketing is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.