Ruth’s List Florida seeks a full-time Communications Director tosupport the mission of Ruth’s List to increase the number of Democratic, pro-choice women running for office and getting elected at all levels of Florida government by leading the organization’s communications efforts.
Ruth’s List helps women run inspiring campaigns that WIN. We actively identify, recruit, train, mentor and elect Democratic pro-choice women to all levels of government office in Florida. Since 2008, we have raised over $7,500,000, elected nearly 250 women to state and local office, and trained more than 2,400 women.
Our Communications Director will strategically leverage every tool at the organization's disposal - traditional media, social media, and new and innovative tools - to effectively tell the story of Ruth's List, and our candidates, sharing their track record of success and impact. If you live for storytelling and love helping women step into their power, this is the job for you.
Organizational Communications (80%)
- Share a compelling story of the goals, platform, activities, and accomplishments of Ruth’s List with the news media and key constituency groups through traditional media, website, social media, earned media, events, search engine optimization, collateral, and more.
- Leverage current events (legislative, environmental, consequences of decisions) to build support for Ruth’s List and engage citizens in advocacy efforts to support the mission and candidates.f
- Develop and implement short and long-term communications plans to elevate Ruth’s List position as a leader in the Democratic space while generating compelling coverage for our candidates.
- Develop and update organizational messaging for staff, Board of Directors, and other stakeholders.
- Assist the CEO and other staff as needed on special projects.
- Manage all communications requests, rapid response, and media tracking.
- Build and maintain deep relationships with Florida and national press to magnify our impact, influence and brand.
- Prepare the CEO and other on-the-record spokespersons for media interviews.
- Create and disseminate materials including press releases, op-eds, public statements, speeches, talking points, presentations, media advisories, briefings, and pitch ideas.
- Maintain organizational press list in EveryAction.
- Grow our audience and maintain a robust social media presence, including drafting and posting social media content, creating toolkits for partner organizations, and maintaining a social media calendar.
- Write and distribute communications to our members, including frequent fundraising emails, organizational endorsements, and a monthly newsletter through EveryAction.
- Maintain organization’s website, including event calendar, trainings, candidates, and news clips.
Candidate Communications 20%
- Conduct communications trainings for potential and current candidates including messaging best practices, communications tools, and effective storytelling.
- Provide public speaking workshops and one on one training for candidates.
- Develop and advise on campaign communication plans for candidates throughout the election cycle.
- Build and maintain deep relationships with Florida and national press to magnify our impact and brand.
- Prepare CEO and other on-the-record spokesperson for media interviews.Handle all media requests and prepare and disseminate materials such as press releases, op-eds, public statements, speeches, talking points, presentations, media advisories, briefings, and pitch ideas.
- Run excellent, well supported press events with high level surrogates and elected officials.
- Create and manage the press list and communication event attendees in NGP.
- Manage communications fellow.
- Represent Ruth’s List at tables, coalitions and meetings with outside organizations as needed.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & VALUES ALIGNMENT
- At least 4 years of relevant experience, such as serving as the communications director and/or communications department on a political campaign, non-profit, or foundation.
- Experience managing or directing communications on a legislative, state or equivalent campaign.
- Experience developing and overseeing the successful implementation of a communications plan.
- Experience updating/working with wordpress as well as experience with social media platforms.
- Knowledge of Florida's media landscape and relationships with political reporters/insiders/influencers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, grammatical and copy-editing skills.
- Experience managing staff.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Exceptional project management skills
- Creative, resourceful and strategic approach to problem-solving and overcoming obstacles.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion,
- A deep commitment to and understanding of Ruth's List's mission.
- Bilingual in Spanish and/or Creole is a plus.
Travel, evening and weekend work are required for this position (up to 20% travel throughout the state of Florida). Ruth’s List is headquartered in Tampa, but this position may be located anywhere in the state.
This position will report directly to the CEO. The annual salary range for this position is $75,000 - $85,000, depending on location and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume and cover letter to Info@ruthslistfl.org with the subject line “Communications Director”. In your cover letter, explain why you would like to join Ruth’s List and why your skills are appropriate for this position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No calls please.
We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our state, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Ruth’s List Florida comprises a 501(C)(4) organization, Ruth’s List Florida Action that houses a Political Action Committee (PAC), Ruth’s List Florida, Inc. It is the only organization dedicated to recruiting, training, and electing progressive, Democratic, pro-choice women candidates to state and local offices in Florida, with a focus on flipping the leadership in Tallahassee and building a vibrant bench of candidates from the local level. Started in 2008 by former Chief Financial Officer for the state of Florida, Alex Sink, Ruth’s List has established itself as an influential, highly reputable, and effective entity poised for continued growth and influence in the state. With a budget of approximately $1 million and staff of eight, including fellows, this small organization has an outsized impact on Florida politics.