I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary
The Global Food Institute at the George Washington University ( GFI ) will create the infrastructure for revolutionary discoveries to become effective policy, innovative ventures, and compelling stories. Founded by the George Washington University and José Andrés, the Global Food Institute will transform people’s lives and the health of our planet by changing the way we view food’s integral role in creating a greater world.
Cross-disciplinary research and teaching will be the foundation of the GFI , permeating all of our work. Our pillars of policy, innovation, and humanity will guide the institute, creating real-world impact and transforming how we grow, distribute, consume, and think about food.
The Global Food Institute is looking for a Temporary Program Coordinator. Position reports to the Director of Research and Policy and the Director of Curriculum Development in the Global Food Institute ( GFI ) until the Executive Director is hired. The Program Coordinator will manage several budgets and grants associated with the Global Food Institute.
The position facilitates the hiring of faculty, graduate teaching assistants, consultants, and interns. This person will be the first point of contact for all inquiries regarding the GFI . This job manages outreach to students around sustainability academic program offerings, internships, and career opportunities. The Coordinator will support the creation and enhance the growth of the Food Studies Minor, and other degree programs that are developed within the GFI . They will organize and staff GFI’s annual periodic meetings. They will also assist the Institute by managing budgets, organizing events, managing communication, and supporting the daily operations. As part of the job, the Coordinator will regularly work in close collaboration with the Affiliated faculty, staff, outside affiliated organizations, the Executive Director and Founder of the Institute.
- Submits budget projections, tracking, and reports for all Global Food Institute faculty and staff;
- Hires contract or part time graduate students, faculty, and researchers who support courses or projects;
- Organizes invite list for annual and periodic meetings
- Schedules event space, catering, and equipment necessary for events
- Manages course and event scheduling;
- Manage Global Food Institute courses, university wide, and develops and deploys new food-related course attributes across all school’s curriculum;
- Keeps Global Food Institute team on schedule with deadlines, coordination between projects, and action items through team meetings and frequent check ins;
- Writes and edits annual report and assessments for the academic year;
- Assists in website updates, newsletter, program emails, and listserv;
- Manages part-time staff by providing feedback and guidance for their professional development;
- Performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning tasks that are logically related to the position.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
II. POSITION INFORMATION
Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
Hours Per Week:
Required Background Check:
Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Job Open Date
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled:
Applicant Review Will Commence On
Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.