Sunset is the premier resource for achieving the ultimate Western lifestyle. Our expert editorial team embodies and celebrates the awe of the infinite west across print, digital, social, and experiential. We have unparalleled authority in the 13 Western states and beyond in the areas of travel, home, garden, and food and a loyal and highly engaged audience of 5 million. We are passionate about showcasing the region's unique lifestyle and noteworthy destinations, inspiring people to realize the dream of living in the West.
What We Are Looking For
Sunset is looking for a creative, change-making team leader to harness the power of our brand and develop and execute new business strategy and partnerships that sit outside of the traditional publishing model. Following on our recent success in launching a fast-growing subscription box, wine club, and travel award directory and licensing program, we are looking for someone to grow and manage these new business lines and identify and implement new partnerships. In this role you will be both a team leader and manage your own book of business. You will travel the country to cultivate senior level brand and ad agency relationships. You will host dinners and attend events with the expectation of converting these opportunities into immediate revenue, primarily from customers that have not worked with Sunset in many years, or ever before. You will also develop Sunset's go to market plans and will lead selling efforts to close deals for brand licensing, brand partnerships, brand integration, content syndication, custom events and more. As a brand known for its authority in the Western lifestyle, we have permission to succeed in categories such as home and design, home furnishings, travel, food, real estate, hospitality, fashion, accessories, fragrance, and beyond. From DTC, CPG, e-learning, hospitality, home furnishings, real estate, vacation rentals—the opportunities are infinite. This person will own new business, identify partnership opportunities, vet and recommend, and continue to transform this storied lifestyle brand into a 360 lifestyle experience for consumers who want to truly live the Best of the West. The ideal candidate needs to be an experienced media seller with a flair for big deal partnerships, and a down to earth personality that energizes everyone around them. We are looking for that rare person seeking an opportunity to go above and beyond.
- 10+ years of digital / social / newsletter advertising sales with working knowledge of print advertising
- Significant experience selling integrated cross platform sponsorships
- Have customers who will immediately welcome you into their office to hear the Sunset story
- Understanding of brand licensing, partnership development and big deal making
- Self-starter that can thrive in both a corporate and start-up environments.
In this role you will personally handle and develop an account list and lead a team of senior sellers. Additionally, this role will require you to be on the road 50%+ of the time to develop key markets: NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Denver / Carbondale, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Dallas, Portland, Seattle, and more.
- Create a sales culture of brand evangelism and work cross-functionally with internal teams
- Educate brands and agencies on the value of our Sunset audience
- Set the pace for your team on new business development
- Attend all appropriate marketing and advertising association events in key markets noted above
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Ability to travel as needed, and have a valid driver's license
- Excellent knowledge of industry trends, technologies, and pricing models
- Strong skills working with Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.com
Compensation range: $300,000 OTE ($200,000 base salary + $100,000 target bonus)