The San Antonio Local Organizing Committee (SALOC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit that is charged with planning and executing national events in San Antonio. SALOC is a partnership between San Antonio Sports, the City of San Antonio, Visit San Antonio, UTSA and UIW to host the 2025 NCAA Men's Final Four. This position will help lead marketing and communications efforts and hosting requirements to deliver a world-class fan experience to visitors and the San Antonio community.
DIRECT REPORTS: Marketing Manager, Marketing/Communications Intern
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Marketing and Communications, serves as the SALOC liaison with the NCAA on all marketing and communications activations in support of city-wide planning related to the 2025 Men’s Final Four and general projects assigned by the Managing Director and Executive Director. The Director of Marketing and Communications will participate in extensive integrated planning and coordination with all other SALOC functional positions to achieve the desired outcomes and attendance goals of the NCAA and SALOC in support of the 2025 Men’s Final Four.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
The main responsibility of the Director of Marketing and Communications is to lead the creation, development, planning and execution of a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy to promote the events and programs of the 2025 NCAA Men’s Final Four to include advertising, social media, public relations, and grassroots activations.
- Create and implement a comprehensive traditional, digital and grassroots marketing and communications plan in support of all NCAA and SALOC goals for the event.
- Develop, coordinate, and distribute all public messaging related to the events and programs of the event.
- Provide management and oversight of the Marketing/Communications Manager and interns to be hired in 2024 in fulfilling the duties described here.
- Provide management, oversight, and direction for the SALOC’s Marketing and Public Relations Committee, which largely consists of:
- Building the committee, ensuring that it is representative of the many organizations, city partners and stakeholders in the San Antonio area.
- Leading monthly meetings for this committee starting in 2024
- Organizing the committee for assistance with various Final Four activations or events
- Establish a pro-active public relations campaign to engage local media outlets in the lead up and during the event.
- Coordinate and oversee all press releases, press conferences, editorial board opportunities and other public relations needs of the NCAA and SALOC to include management of local PR Firm to support in the execution of these items.
- Serve as main point of contact to local media and coordinate interview and/or statement opportunities for SALOC leadership.
- Responsible for regular reports to the SALOC Executive Director and NCAA and extensive wrap-up report at the conclusion of the event.
- Manage all budget related line items in the approved budget and work to identify savings, trade opportunities or additional revenue opportunities.
- Coordinate the local media buy and advertising plan in partnership with local media outlets and advertising firm.
- Work with the NCAA and their creative partners to develop graphics, video spots, print materials and other items needed to promote and execute the events and programs of the Final Four.
- Create the San Antonio Final Four micro-site and ensure content is up to date.
- Identify and leverage partner assets and innovative opportunities that can be used for promotion of the Final Four (i.e., countdown clock, no cost out-of-home assets and in venue signage)
- Oversee and help execute all social media content plans and strategy in conjunction with NCAA.
- Create and implement monthly e-newsletter communications.
- Oversee promotion and assist in programing of the Final Four Fan Jam and trophy tour.
- Provide weekly metrics and dashboard on marketing initiatives to track campaign progress.
- Coordinate all public safety awareness messaging alongside Executive Director and city public information officers.
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing Director and/or Executive Director.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor degree and at least five (5) years marketing and communications experience. Experience working on the marketing and/or public relations strategy and execution of a large-scale event or major brand sponsorship portfolio a plus. Must have the ability to meet deadlines and program milestones as well as work alongside, motivate and organize staff, contractors, committee members and volunteers to meet or exceed the goals of the NCAA and SALOC. Ability to prioritize efforts in a highly dynamic, fast paced and fluid environment while remaining productive and professional. Ability to work evenings and weekends based on events and NCAA monthly site visit activities.
TERM: November/December 2023 – April 30, 2025
POSITION: Independent Contractor. Benefits are not included. Compensation commensurate with experience. Reliable transportation and laptop required. Office space and equipment provided.
LOCATION: Alamodome, San Antonio, TX
SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME: to firstname.lastname@example.org