Job Title: Volunteer Director of Communications
Organization: The Pathway Initiative Inc.
Location: Must be USA-based, Boston area preferred (remote)
Reports To: Dr. Lawrence B. Mensah, TPI’s Executive Director,
The Pathway Initiative, Inc. (TPI), is an innovative, community-based, non-profit medical education organization. TPI envisions itself as a unique and socially responsible organization, which strives to support African American, Black, Hispanic, and Latinx students on their path to achieving medical education and employment. TPI aims to empower underrepresented individuals to become responsive leaders in the medical field and worthy exemplars of under-resourced communities to address health care disparities.
TPI is managed by civic-minded medical and non-medical professionals who have great concern for public good in general, and the equality of access to healthcare services in the underserved communities (i.e., the African American, Hispanic and Latino communities that have long experienced inequality in educational opportunities and healthcare disparities), in particular.
Position Summary: The Volunteer Director of Communications will play a vital role in elevating The Pathway Initiative's visibility, increasing engagement with our target audiences, and driving support for our mission to address healthcare disparities in underserved communities. A key priority of this role will be to develop and maintain a robust newsletter and ensure continuous and effective communication with volunteers, donors, alumni, and other stakeholders. This volunteer position presents a unique opportunity for a communications professional to contribute their expertise to a transformative cause.
- Strategic Communications: Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy aligned with The Pathway Initiative's mission and objectives.
- Newsletter Development: Establish and manage a regular newsletter to keep volunteers, donors, alumni, and other stakeholders informed and engaged.
- Content Creation: Generate compelling and informative content for various platforms, including social media, website, press releases, and more.
- Media Relations: Cultivate and nurture relationships with local and national media outlets, pitch stories, and secure media coverage.
- Social Media Management: Oversee all social media channels, including content creation, scheduling, and monitoring engagement and analytics.
- Website Management: Ensure the organization's website remains current with relevant content, news, and success stories.
- Email Marketing: Create and manage email marketing campaigns to engage donors, volunteers, and supporters.
- Graphic Design: Collaborate with designers (if available) or create visual assets for online and offline materials.
- Public Relations: Manage crisis communication and safeguard the organization's public image.
- Analytics and Reporting: Monitor and assess communication metrics to refine strategies and ensure continuous improvement.
- Team Collaboration: Collaborate closely with other team members, volunteers, and partners to coordinate communication efforts effectively.
- Bachelor's and or Master’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or a related field (applicants with equivalent experience will also be considered).
- Prior experience in a similar role is a must.
- Demonstrated experience in communications, public relations, or marketing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in social media management and email marketing platforms
- Familiarity with website content management systems.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- A deep commitment to the mission and values of The Pathway Initiative.
- The chance to make a profound impact on a critical mission.
- Gaining experience in nonprofit communications with a focus on addressing healthcare disparities.
- Opportunities for networking and collaboration within the nonprofit sector.
- Personal and professional growth within a dynamic, volunteer-driven organization.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter outlining their relevant experience and expressing their passion for joining The Pathway Initiative as the Volunteer Director of Communications. Please send your application to email@example.com with the subject line "Director of Communications Volunteer Application."
Application Deadline: October 27th, 2023
The Pathway Initiative is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.