The NY office of a global law firm is expanding their Business Development department. They are seeking a BD Coordinator or Paralegal with 1 - 3 years experience that has strong research and writing skills.
The Coordinator – Business Development will work with Business Development Analysts, Managers, other marketing staff and lawyers to assist with efforts to generate increased business for the Firm. They will leverage research, writing, technical and communication skills to support the Firm’s global practice areas. The Coordinator will also work with more senior BD team members to liaise with Firm lawyers and staff members in departments including Knowledge Management, Professional Development & Training, Events and Recruiting to support internal and external practice development initiatives, and on other tasks as they pertain to the maintenance and growth of the practice internally and externally.
The scheduled hours for this position are 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Identify relevant trends by industry, geography and type of transaction or matter to assist in preparing targeted materials (pitch books, brochures, trifolds, duofolds and other presentations or collateral), in a manner that effectively communicates the Firm’s relevant experience and articulates clear reasons why the Firm should be retained.
- Update and maintain certain standard pitch files and collateral.
- Update Lawyer biographies across multiple channels (print, digital).
- Maintain a complete record of all pitches, research and meetings (of any type, including in particular as relates to our relationship with local counsel).
- Complete productions aspects (editing, fact checking, proofreading, assembling) to ensure that materials are delivered accurately and on time.
- Assist in preparing legal directory and award submissions, including compiling deal lists and draft emails for partners to send to references.
- Update relevant deal databases, contact and activity information in the Firm’s client relationship management system (CRM); and assemble daily business and political news clippings, as well as the more extensive reports and digests at the direction of the BD Analyst.
- Assist the BD Analysts in preparing competitive intelligence research to update lawyers on clients, prospects, peers/competitors and market trends.
- Follow Firm regional and market news, including as pertains to clients and prospects, as well as local counsel and practice alumni and update lawyers and other relevant support staff.
- Coordinate – with the BD Analyst and partner assistants – practice development trip itinerary planning, organizing meetings and trip preparations (research, materials, printing, etc.), drafting correspondence for partners, and preparing post-trip follow-up, including additional material creation/sending and tracking meeting and correspondence record-keeping.
- Coordinate with the Communications department to make practice updates to the weekly internal newsletter and the Firm’s website and social media platforms.
- Draft communications for partners related to clients, prospects, local law firm relationships.
- Research conferences and speaking opportunities to help the managers present suitable marketing opportunities to partners. Support partners with marketing aspects, research and follow-up.
- Assist with internally-hosted externally-facing events, including as they pertain to clients and alumni, as well as practice group members and summer associates.
- Other duties or special projects may be assigned.
- Excellent writing/editing, proofreading, grammar and research skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- The ability to work and collaborate as a part of a global BD team is essential.
- Proficiency in standard spreadsheet, database, word processing and presentation applications (e.g., Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint are pluses), as well as with a variety of online and new media information resources. Knowledge of any CRM system is also helpful.