Communications Specialist - HourlyJob Description
We are looking to fill a Communications Specialist - Hourly position to support our Public Lands Department. The mission of the Public Lands Department is to enhance the livability of the urban environment through a diverse network of natural open spaces, recreational opportunities, park facilities, city golf landscapes, the city cemetery, and the urban forest to ensure that the resources under our management are carefully stewarded for future generations.
This position is responsible for supporting the Public Lands communications and engagement efforts to drive awareness of the division and its projects.
In this position you will work up to 20 hours per week.Typical Duties
- Works in collaboration with the Public Lands Communications and Engagement team to develop marketing and communications assets for organizational events, activities, and projects.
- Writes and designs content for Public Lands newsletter, social media posts, and website.
- Assists with public engagement through surveys, workshops, pop-up events and other methods.
- Develops educational material to inform the public of facts, issues, and highlights regarding division-maintained lands.
- Compiles monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for assigned responsibilities.
- Serves as back-up to other personnel within the Public Lands Department and assists other professional staff as needed.
- Facilitates and instructs programmatic and stewardship events as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent, plus two years' work experience in a related technical position. Experience and training must include data entry and retrieval from a computer terminal and the use of personal computers to do word processing and/or spreadsheets.
- Ability to type 40 wpm net and/or proficiency in the use of computers for filing system, word processing and/or spreadsheets, depending on departmental requirements. Preference will be given to candidates whose computer type speed is 40 wpm or greater and who have demonstrated expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to operate various standard office equipment and other specified technical equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and comply with established policy and procedures. Working knowledge of specialized field stipulated by division.
- Ability to relate with persons from diverse socio-economic and racial/ethnic backgrounds.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability and means to travel between office and other worksites or locations when necessary to collect or distribute information.
- A passion for conservation and love of Utah's natural areas.
- A track record of superior time management, decision making, detail-oriented, customer service, creative thinking, and teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to connect with youth, families, educators, and community leaders.
- Highly computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Pro; Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Constant Contact, and social media experience.
POSITION SALARY RANGE
Public LandsFull Time/Part Time
Part timeScheduled Hours
Don't see your interests, but would still like to apply?
Our Salt Lake City family serves a population of over 199,000. We're committed to providing resources, access, and opportunity to all and continue to recruit and retain diverse, talented people. Our employees make a real difference with the work they do every day and are actively shaping our beautiful City's future.
We are dedicated to promoting equity, inclusion and belonging for all members of our City family. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the City is committed to building a qualified and competent workforce based on principles of diversity at each step of the recruitment and selection process.
We aspire to shape a better community and workplace, and as such, we are committed to pay equity. We are proud to have achieved gender pay equity as a leader in the Utah community by creating an inclusive workplace where there is equal opportunity for all.
Additionally, the City is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Salt Lake City will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at 801-535-7900.