Under the guidance and direction of the Director of Marketing and Communications, and working closely with members of the marketing team, the Communications Manager will be responsible for managing and supporting a range of marketing and communications functions with a focus on writing and editing, advertising coordination, and public relations.
The Communications Manager is responsible for ensuring widespread, consistent, and effective messaging and tone across Munson channels, including the website, publications, social media, public relations communications, and more. This position will coordinate contributors and write and/or edit copy of Munson communications, including but not limited to the Bulletin, institutional websites, Pratt Munson college of art and design publications, and email newsletters.
The Communications Manager collaborates with people and programs across Munson to develop lineups of articles that will appeal to the membership, attract new supporters, and reflect the goals of the strategic plan and reinforce the brand with key stakeholders across the organization’s channels. Additionally, the position will lead public relations efforts with the goal of increasing media impressions in local, national, industry-specific outlets.
- Develop well-researched, concise, and engaging content that reinforce the brand identity for all Munson communications channels, including web content, publications, email marketing, and press releases
- Contribute to and develop an annual editorial calendar for communications channels, including publications, advertising campaigns, membership drives, and other major projects
- Find and develop stories to tell and collaborate with social media managers to repurpose and reinforce stories across internal and external communications channels
- Review content for formatting, adherence to style guidelines, and overall quality
- Coordinate internal and freelance contributing writers and establish and communication timelines and deadlines to relevant parties
- Work with internal stakeholders to write and/or edit program descriptions and other written communications
- Serve a primary editor of website content, email newsletters, and promotional copy
- Serve as managing editor, contributing writer, and proofreader of signature publications, such as the Bulleting, Annual Report, Pratt Munson Newsletter, Pratt Munson Catalog, Pratt Munson Viewbook
- Manage advertising campaigns, including placements, purchases, invoices, and coordinating approval of collateral that is in line with Munson’s brand identity
- Proof all marketing collateral, including advertisements, social media content, email blasts, and other
- Develop and/or strengthen promotional partnerships with outside organizations (ex. Participating in Utica Comets promotions, distributing marketing materials to area businesses, etc.)
- Coordinate with web content manager to oversee marketing street team efforts
- Manage outside marketing and advertising agencies and consultants, such as media buyers, and google ad specialists
- Coordinate freelance contributors, such as photographers, and videographers and others
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Marketing and Communications Department and beyond on additional promotional projects
- Be a back-up for social media coverage at special programs and events
- Public Relations/Other
- Build brand awareness regionally and nationally through public relations efforts such as strategic press release distribution and proactive pitches
- Support and/or create community engagement opportunities that draw attention to Munson’s important role in the community
- Represent Munson at community events
- Develop and or support communications that center the institution’s values, especially those of anti-racism, both internally and externally
- Serve on Munson in-house committees and perform other duties as assigned.
- A proven and effective team player and communicator with three or more years of experience in promoting an organization through strategic marketing and communications initiative
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field such as marketing, journalism, or public relations
- Outstanding writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Experience with digital marketing and content management and/or creation
- Experience working with multiple clients and tight deadlines
- Public relations experience with regional, national, and arts-oriented media
- A superior communicator with interpersonal skills that reflect clarity of expression and effectiveness in working with diverse groups in a complex organizational setting
- Experience working with multiple clients and tight deadlines while also helping other offices to prioritize projects around effectiveness
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal, Constant Contact, Google Ads, Google Tag Manager, social media, and other marketing tools
- Dedication to knowing current best practices related to marketing and communications
- Knowledge of and interest in website analytics and digital advertising metrics
- A love for the arts and culture; experience working with an audience-serving cultural organization preferred
- An inclusive world view and commitment to anti-racist practices
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range $61,000 - $66,000
- Munson offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurances for the employee, their spouse/domestic partner, and dependents.
- Paid group life insurance with the ability to purchase additional optional life insurance
- Paid short-term and long-term disability coverages
- Participation in the Munson’s TIAA Retirement plan after one year of service
- Generous paid time off including PTO, sick time and holidays.
- Other benefits include: Employer Assistance Program, Museum of Art Membership with reciprocal admission to other Museums, free School of Art classes for you and your family, and complimentary tickets to world-class performances, films, and children’s performances
- As a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization under the IRS Code, Munson is considered a qualifying employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, a federal program designed to forgive student load debt for employees of certain non-profit and public employers.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Munson Museum of Art
310 Genesee Street
Utica, NY 13502