The American Sportfishing Association (ASA), a D.C. Metro area trade association representing sportfishing manufacturers, retailers and stakeholders, is seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented Manager of Communications to join our team. This person will play a key role in both supporting and enhancing the communication efforts of our organization The position reports to the Communications Vice President.
The successful candidate will be responsible for helping to promote the value of the association, its programs and services and for marketing association activities. In addition, the manager is a proficient project manager who will work with the Communications team to increase engagement in the association in coordination with the association’s strategic plan. Finally, the Communications Manager will coordinate media relations for ASA and with public affairs media relations efforts assisting with media inquiries, outreach, pitching and managing media lists.
The ideal candidate has a positive attitude, is outgoing, confident, enthusiastic about the association’s priorities, is comfortable speaking in front of members and media and is willing and eager to expand relationships in the sportfishing industry. In addition, the candidate has demonstrated written and verbal communications skills, likes working in a dynamic team environment and is a supportive team player.
Must be able to work independently; appropriately and accurately represent the association to its members; support concurrent activities and coordinate with multiple staff members; show initiative and self-motivation; demonstrate strong organizational skills; and display professionalism and poise. A working knowledge of PowerPoint, social media, marketing and electronic newsletter software like MailChimp is a plus.
Job responsibilities include:
- Write, produce, layout, review and edit the association’s communications for internal and external audiences including, but not limited to, newsletters, emails, news releases, website content, blogs, policy and position papers, event marketing and other materials.
- Provide support to association staff and ASA’s President in developing speeches and PowerPoint presentations.
- Manage media inquiries outreach and relations for the association’s annual trade show which annually attracts members of the international recreational fishing business community including more than 400 media representatives. This includes vetting individuals who register in the Media Editorial category.
- In coordination with the Communications Vice President, coordinate media relations for the association including endemic and non-endemic media such as trade, policy, sportfishing and business publications. Create and manage media lists and cultivate relationships. Provide support to Government Affairs media relations activities when necessary .
- Manage communications identity standards and branding materials to include giveaways, signage, advertising and other visible assets.
- Provide support to the Communications team in the development of the content for the Association’s annual business meeting, the Sportfishing Summit
- Serve as the staff point of contact for one of three association Communications committees, coordinating the committee’s activities with the Chair and ensuring that committee actions and requests are fulfilled.
- BS/BA degree in a related field. -At least 5 years of communications, public relations or marketing experience with an association or with a related non-profit or agency. -Strong oral and written communications skills. -Knowledge and ability to edit/proof documents for error-free work. -Strong ability to act as a project manager, prioritize, work independently and meet deadlines on multiple tasks and in a team environment. -Ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with ASA’s members and outside partners. -Ability to work and manage schedules and deadlines in a fast-paced environment. -Proficiency with the entire Microsoft Office Suite of products with a special emphasis on PowerPoint. -Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms. -Knowledge of association management systems and/or communications software is a plus. -Detail oriented and exhibits a high degree of accuracy. -Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate well between the members of the Communications team. -Is able to show leadership in both managing and prioritizing projects. -Strong ability to prioritize, work independently and meet deadlines.
The position is full time and includes benefits such as health insurance, a 401(k), paid vacation and sick leave and free parking.
PandoLogic. Keywords: Communications Manager, Location: Alexandria, VA - 22314