Statement of Duties:
The Community Engagement Specialist will support the City’s goal of an equitable, resilient, thriving, and carbon-negative City. The Specialist will build and maintain relationships with community members, stakeholders, partners, and organizations. They will implement virtual and in-person initiatives, programs, campaigns, and related activities. The employee is expected to manage and build existing and new engagement and education initiatives across platforms, including but not limited to social media. The Community Engagement Specialist is required to perform all similar or related duties.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provide support designing, planning, coordinating, implementing, managing, executing, analyzing, and evaluating multimedia climate change and sustainability awareness, engagement, and education campaigns.
- Create well-designed, accurate engagement materials that are culturally relevant, inclusive, accessible, and representative of a diverse community.
- Support the maintenance of relationships and collaborations on programs and projects with key internal and external parties and stakeholders.
- Identify strategies to connect with community members and meet with community leaders to design targeted engagement strategies.
- Plan, coordinate, implement, communicate, and distribute program-related education and outreach activities, events, and initiatives, through various mediums, including but not limited to public presentations.
- Respond to departmental inquiries promptly, appropriately, and accurately.
- Grow and maintain OSE social media accounts, webpages, and the monthly SustainaVille newsletter, maintaining and adding new followers, as well as instantaneously and constantly publishing appropriate content.
- Maintain logs of communications and outreach efforts for organization and evaluative purposes. Organize and maintain files, forms, and folders in the department’s shared drive.
- Engage in the drafting process, accepting and incorporating feedback as needed.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree and over three (3) years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Experience coordinating campaigns and programs and/or in sales is strongly preferred. Relevant fields of study include but are not limited to: marketing, communication, English, business, psychology, urban and regional planning, environmental studies, environmental science, public administration, and public policy. We value lived experience as something that can contribute substantively to the skills candidates bring to this position.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
- Knowledge: Strong interest in climate change, community engagement, equity, diversity, and inclusion, and municipal government. Knowledge of climate change mitigation and adaptation, resilience, sustainability, environmental (in)justice, social media, print marketing, design principles, community-based social marketing, engagement strategies, effective communication strategies, and web design.
- Ability: Multi-tasking and prioritizing; comfortable working independently and in group settings; ability to communicate with staff, elected officials, and the public professionally, effectively, and appropriately; ability to handle problems and emergencies effectively; ability to maintain confidential information; ability to maintain, manage, and organize records; ability to communicate complicated ideas succinctly and persuasively; ability to accept and implement feedback and adapt amongst changing circumstances; reliably attend outreach events, including on weekends and evenings; respond to inquiries promptly and accurately.
- Skill: Strong interpersonal and critical thinking skills; excellent oral and written communication; excellent customer service; excellent computer skills for word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; excellent analytical skills; excellent social media and website building skills; experience with virtual meeting programs such as Teams and/or Zoom; experience in graphic design; excellent organizational skills; experience with web design; experience with graphic design. Proficient in drooble, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project. Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Microsoft Office 365 OneDrive, JotForm, MailChimp, and Google products, and Canva, are preferred.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Few physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. May also be some occasional lifting of objects such as office equipment and computer paper (up to 30 lbs.)
Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Salary: $64,945.93 annualized + benefits
Date Posted: July 13, 2023